Whiptail Catfish Id

vince0

Hello,

I was given a couple of these awhile back and didn't think much of it. I left them to their own thing in a 120g tank, and worried about many of my other fish. Earlier today, I noticed that the one was starting to look full in the belly, and decided to take an update picture for better ID as I thought they might have been in the mood to spawn. I think I hit the nail on the head, because a water change later, and the mail is hovering over eggs. I think maybe I should pull the pair from the community tank and maybe let them to their thing in a more private setting.

Anyone know what these are by the way, I never did find out from the person I got them from.

20141008_072426_zpsgixleljb.jpg

20141102_082405_zpsex0y6vun.jpg

There's not many people out there with great familiarity with the whiptail tribe. In person, using planetcatfish/ cat-e-log is going to be much more accurate than any picture. Try it and see what you come up with. Let us know what you think is the proper ID..

Edited by syno321

The eggs are adhesive, so I think that any attempt to siphon them might damage them. Is there any way that you can cordon off the area of the tank that they are in to allow them to hatch their eggs? If not, you could try to remove the substrate that the eggs are on, and the male to a separate tank, to allow him to try to hatch them in peace. The young are fairly easy to raise on live bbs and fine sinking food.

There was no way... I saw an apple snail going for them, so I use a razor blade and net and pulled them all out. Hopefully I didn't damage anythimg. Only time will tell. Now I have some research to do and a breeding tank to set up. So very exciting!

Here are some more shots from this morning.

20141103_073704_zpsmaldylzh.jpg

20141103_073712_zpskciurssa.jpg

I pulled the eggs last night, and as of right now (almost 18 hours later) they are still looking nice and green with no sign of fungus.

After plenty of online research, I am starting to thing that these are Rineloricaria Parva, or something closely related to that species

This morning, I took a peak at the bucket and the eggs were still green and appeared in good order. I added 2L of warm chlorinated tap water to the hatching bucket and now I'm back to waiting.

In the meantime, here is a picture of the hatching bucket for anyone who many be interested.

20141104_070214_zpsy5rpjvp0.jpg

I use a tetra submersible heater, pre-set to 78F. I get these from Walmart, and they are very inexpensive. However, they have done me well when it come to keeping tanks under 5g warm, when I don't need to adjust the temp.

I also use a simple airstone for water movement. At this point, the bucket doesn't need to be cycled. The fry (if they hatch) are removed either right away, or near the time they use up their yolk sac. For this set up, the air flow is quite high, so as to stimulate the parent "fanning" the eggs.

I stared using buckets when rainbowric mentioned using them for hatching rainbows. They actually work great, the white background makes any fry stand out. I've bread barbs, cories, killifish, and rainbows this way. Ive also had mixed results hatching angelfish eggs this way. Nice part is, when I'm done with them they store nicely

Edited by vince0

In my excitement to get the eggs out, I did something I don't typically do. I used water from the parents' tank. Usually, I use chlorinated tap water when incubating eggs and the reason is that the chlorine kills off any harmful bacteria while not causing any harm to the eggs.

When I woke up this morning, the water in the bucket was murky. I believe that some sort of bacterial bloom happened, and I half expected to see all the eggs gone. I dropped the water level, and replaced with tap water. The eggs seemd to be fine.

I got home tonight and once again, the water in the bucket was murky. I did another water change, this time I dropped almost all the water out of the bucket, and replaced with almost all lukewarm chlorinated tap water. When I looked at the eggs after the water change, they seemed to changing colour and you can almost make out the faint outline of a fish overtop of the yolk sac.

I sure hope they hatch soon!

Interesting use of chlorinated tap water. Cool think about Cgy city water is that it is treated with chlorine, which will evaporate with good airation. I don't think the same trick will work in Edmonton or other municipalities that use chloramine. We're stuck using methyl blue or alder cones, almond leaves.

Here is a horrible picture of the eggs in the bucket. The assassin snail shell is a good reference point for size. There are now clearly light brown eggs, and green eggs. I'm starting to thing that the light brown eggs are the fertilized ones. I can see more stuff inside than the undeveloped green eggs.

Also, it seems the water changes yesterday worked, the water was crystal clear this morning when I checked the bucket.

20141106_073017_zpsic4py1ll.jpg

I came home tonight and all the unfertilized "green" eggs had fungused over. I did a quick removal of the "bad" eggs and added some more chlorinated water. The fry are really evident when I look at them close. I'm half tempted to removed another egg just to take close up picture.