More Newbie Questions

Vimmer

Picked up some red ludwigia(thought my scarlett temple was ludwigia til I saw the right one) and Java fern tonight. Out of time to get it in the tank so please tell me it'll be ok in the bag until morning or should I be floating in the tank until I can get planted?

Whew, too much to do and not enough tic tocs. On a side note can anyone tell me why the Scarlett temple is starting to get thin leaves? Newer setup completely cycled by nitrogen cycle tests. Kh and gh reads 120 and 180 on dip strips(all I could find in this town). Haven't added any ferts yet or liquid carbon; just picked some up tonight and was going to dose after 10%WC tomorrow to see if it helps. The leaves are getting thin and wispy in the tank almost transparent.

Whew, too much to do and not enough tic tocs. On a side note can anyone tell me why the Scarlett temple is starting to get thin leaves? Newer setup completely cycled by nitrogen cycle tests. Kh and gh reads 120 and 180 on dip strips(all I could find in this town). Haven't added any ferts yet or liquid carbon; just picked some up tonight and was going to dose after 10%WC tomorrow to see if it helps. The leaves are getting thin and wispy in the tank almost transparent.

I once left a large anubias plant in a bag for over a year. It didn't do great, But it didn't die. I added water once (1/2 cup) and added more air twice. It sat on a ledge by the window.

I also kept Java moss in a bag under a grow light for 2-3 years. Only to add water maybe 5 times. This one I also would flip the bag over maybe every 4 months.

Both of these bags had very minimal water, so the plant was growing out of water.

I suspect the Java fern could last a year in the bag. The ludwigia will probably die regardless. I wouldn't consider red ludwigia or any red plant a beginner plant. I would only add that after 6 months of having the tank setup and growing plants well.

Me thinks you may have got scarlet temple, which is a difficult plant. General rule of thumb, go with dark green plants as a beginner..

Ok yes it is a Scarlett temple that is showing distress. It wasn't perfect when I bought and set tank up but at first it was flourishing for five or six weeks. Now it is starting to melt/ get very thin leaves. Haven't added any ferts or liquid carbon as yet. Rest of plants growing well (still no roots on cabomba but wow does it grow). It is not Calgary water but still hard water. Ph is also high 7.6-7.8 past 8 weeks.

I would suggest getting in touch with Jewels who lives in the 'hat too. Great guy and can definitely help you out with plants!!

Ok update; it must have been either nutes or co2; did 25% WC, added flourish and API's liquid CO2 booster and it's looking better already. Waited 2 hrs and tested: Nov. 8, 2014

ph7.8 amm&nitrite0,0 nitrate .5

Tank 2 however has serous issues but think it was either me stirring up the bed ripping plants out or wife over feeding the snail and Oto this week.

Nov8,2014

Ph7.8, nh3/nh4 .25, no2 .25, no3 40-60 EEEEk

Time to go change more water in tank2, dang I hate small populations.

I've dosed nutes into the 36 again and seriously considerring adding few more tank mates to increase bio load. Been holding off til I get to Calgary for better selection and prices. Saving space for school of hatchets but tank is maturing faster than I expected. Hoping until then I can keep nutes up with supplements at least a bit.

The ten what concerns me most did another 30% WC but unable to test as in daughters room and it was time to get her to bed. Will see what's up when off work tomorrow. And told wife no more feeding the damn snail and Oto. If they can't live off water and tank grown algae well they're cheap. It was cycled and doing great til i told her I gave them a wafer and the snail never moved off it til it was near completely gone. Next day her and the kid dumped four of me in there. Took two days for the spikes to show. As long as things are back by 24th all is good.

Ok crisis over in 10g I think. Did the second WCof the day yesterday, another 30% for total of 50 for day. Ph7.8, nh3/4 trace not .25 but not quite zero yet, no2 0, no3 20

Also added 4 blood fin tetras to 36g. Drip acclimated and they're loving new home. They've taken up with the 6 neons and are roaming the tank in this big red tailed school. Looks cool and weird at same time