Another Newbie

smmcgill

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself, since I've been lurking and learning from all of you for a little while now. I got into aquaria by accident: my daughter wanted a pet, my husband is allergic to most furry things, so we went to Petsmart and got her 3 goldfish and a 3 gallon tank. (Wait to stone me until i finish the story!) Well, after one of the little guys promptly died ("he" had a big black mark on his sides near his dorsal fin, leading me to believe he was unwell before I got him... I hope), I started doing some reading and research, have reconnected with my biology background, and have thoroughly taken over my daughter's "pets", LOL. I found a new big-tank home for the other two goldfish :) and have since begun my MTS journey... I have three tanks: one 5-g planted Walstad-type shrimp tank with red cherries, one 5-g not (yet) planted tank with a few African Dwarf frogs, and one 10-g Walstad-type planted tank with some guppies. I haven't been so excited to watch plants and animals grow since undergrad!

I was referred to AA by a member I met while buying plants from him (hi Rick!), and am hoping to meet some more folks nearby (I'm in Calgary). I'm looking forward to joining the Calgary Aquarium Society in the new year, also. Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all!

-Stephanie

Hope to see you at the January CAS meeting. The topic is led lighting and plants by our horticultural award coordinator, Bearbarry.. This guy grows some great plants!! Our jar show is also plants so this will be a good meeting!! Welcome.