Aquaclear Fit Problems On Marineland 125 Gallon Tank

blink

We just upgraded to a Marineland 125 and I found that my Aquaclear 50s won't work with it because there is interference between the intake tube and the plastic frame around the top of the aquarium. The filters will hang over the lip fine, you just can't click the intake tube into place.

I'm currently looking for a big canister filter (fx5 or fx6 if you have one?) but in the mean time I wanted to keep my established bio media from cycling.

I could trim the aquarium frame to fit but I would prefer not to cut the frame of a brand new aquarium.

I llike aquaclear filters for their simplicity and reliability, I keep several of them as backups or emergency quarantine filters so I was wondering if the larger 70 or 110 will fit over a bigger lip than the smaller filters?

It makes sense to me but I'd prefer to check before buying one and finding out that it may or may not fit, hopefully someone has one of these filters and can either measure the gap or compare it to the smaller units.

Cut the trim on a brand new 125 gallon, to custom fit a puny little AC 50? I fail to see the logic behind that.

Personally I wouldn't run anything smaller than an AC 70 on a 125 gallon, my personal preference on a 6ft tank being the AC 110's.

I would want to be running 3-4 aquaclear 50s if I was to use them long term and frankly, why hack up the trim when I can buy a better sized filter?

On the other hand, it looks like the 110 won't work anyways as the tank isn't far enough away from the wall :( oops

Since I have no interest in draining it just so that I can move it I've decided to bite the bullet and pick up a Fluval FX6 tomorrow, assuming I can find a petsmart that has one in stock. They are on sale and I was hoping to find a nice used FX5 but I got some unexpected Christmas money from grannie so what the heck :) It's the filter I should be using for the size of tank and stock levels that I want so I might as well just go git-er-dun as the saying goes.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Edited by blink