Shrimp Newbie

Bruno

I think I am getting bit by the shrimp bug :)

So my 20G setup was for fish/plants and obviously isn't really going to cut it past the cherry shrimp I have now...

So forward thinking, I am considering a 48" 40 gallon, partitioned for keeping different shrimp separate that would otherwise breed together, say 4 x 12" partitions. Could I use the UGFdesign hooked to a canister and then make a pvc spray bar to deliver water to each partition? I am worried that the draw from each partition would not be the same, nor perhaps would the water coming in, so I would need a way to allow water to equalize across all the partitions, without letting shrimp-lets move from partition to partition. Would having small holes in the partition keep them separate? How small would the holes have to be to keep even the little guys from moving from partition to partition?

Or is there an other way to accomplish this without having a separate filter in each part?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did something similar with my 20g Long rack; I originally partitioned the tank into 3 sections for selective breeding with plexiglass dividers but left an 1" space so my UG pipe could go thru. I also made 3 x 1 3/4" holes in the divider which i covered with a sponge. I only had the outlet in one partition because it was pretty tight for space on the top of the tank but if you want to do that you will have to leave around 1" on the top so you can secure the spray-bar (i tried siliconing the straybar in place along the trim but that didn't work too well) I also added a sponge filter in each partition for more flow.

I eventually took out a partition so give myself a larger grow out section.

_8201406_zps22f052a3.jpg

For my new rack, the top row of tanks will be divided in a similar fashion; although the gap on the bottom is only at the back. I didn't end up using an UG filter in there but that is always an option if i ever decide to redo it.

_B171674_zps12773d27.jpg

When i get a chance I will take some pictures of how i cover up the hole as several people have asked me about this as well. I basically cut up the sponge from my sponge filter (each of my came with a set of refills so I got tons of extra sponges).

np, MTS (multiple tank syndrome) is a very common issue with shrimpkeepers.

If you have any more questions about setting up your new tanks or even need someone to show you feel free to ask.

Most of the more shrimp specific products you can get either thru me (via Shrimpkeepers Anonymous - http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showforum=176)or thru Ron (via Ebi-Ken)

I just use the hagen one; Nutrafin AquaPlus I believe it is called. I think the RO unit remove most if not all the chlorine but i always add some just in case.

You'll probably notice less than optimal water production if you have chlorine exiting your carbon filter. Chlorine will permanently damage your RO membrane if it is a TFC, I believe it's the most common type of RO membrane being used.

I don't have RO water yet but am going to start the search for that too. Do I want RO or RO/DI? I havent decided what shrimps I will try, but I dont want my water to be the limiting factor. Any thing I should be looking for particular in a water filter? Anyone know the best (cheapest) place to get them?

I always go RO/DI but RO is fine. I like to start at 0 TDS, RO won't get you there.

I like ones with booster pumps which will increase the membrane efficiency and reduce your waste water.

I personally run 2 Vertex Puratek Deluxe 100 GPD units, it's too bad you missed a great boxing day sale on them.

Edited by Ron

The vertex from J&L looks like a pretty okay deal. It is a 3 stage (sediment, carbon, RO) filter. Realistically, being in Calgary we could probably go dual carbon stages before the RO. I've never seen our tap water have any turbidity at all.

It comes out to 115.00 before GST and I free shipping on orders over 100.00

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=vt-ro100

I think the guys at Concept Aquariums cary Vertex units as well. Check with them also.