Should I Upgrade Filter

jon2far

I currently have a planted community 120 gallon tank with a ehiem 2217 around 250 gallon a hr....

i am thinking of getting fx6 but not sure if i should....

ive been running this set up for two years and have had minimal fish loss....

do i really need more than two water exchanes an hour?

Is the fx6 a good filter?

What gains would i see with fx6.

Does more flow even mean better filtration?

I need some assistance as i got the bug to buy,not sure if should......

Few questions

1. What is your stocking atm?

2. Fx6 will have greater flow for sure but do you need it? Would a power jet be just as efficient for extra flow? (Dead spots in tank)

I personally love my FX5 I got on my 150 and 180. Both a bit overkill for stocking in said tanks but maintenance every 6-9 months is fine by me.

I've got a heavily planted 75g tank. Minimal stock for fish though and I use a canister filter rated at 70gph it does the job just fine. More often than not too much over kill isn't needed as it's more the persons desire/opinion than what the tank needs.. If you desire more 'flow' grab a hydor pump. To tell if you really NEED a larger filter...how is your ammonia, nitrites? If you filter cannot keep up with your bioload you will always have ammonia and nitrites. That should be your true tell if you need or not.

If you have too much organics at the bottom of the tank throw in some MTS to take care of business.

ive been running this set up for two years and have had minimal fish loss.... Test your water for ammonia nitrites and nitrates. If those come back with normal levels then your bio filtration is fine (and plants will help immensely with this part) Is there a lot of particulates floating in the water column? Detritus littered on the bottom of the tank? If either of those are true you may need more flow and MECHANICAL filtration.

do i really need more than two water exchanes an hour? If your plants are happy, fish aren't gasping for air, and your bottom is clean, no you do not need more flow unless the fish you own prefer high flow.

Is the fx6 a good filter? Yes

What gains would i see with fx6. MUCH higher flow, ability to store more media than your 2217

Does more flow even mean better filtration? There are several aspects to filtration. Bio, mechanical, and chemical. More flow = more turnover = less settling debris... assuming that you have enough mechanical filtration to catch the debris after you suck it up, it should improve your mechanical filtration.

I need some assistance as i got the bug to buy,not sure if should......

Edited by Psylant

My stock

2 three spot gourmis

20ish neon tetra/cardinals

2 bolivian rams

5 zebra loach

3 bosemani, will be 6-8 soon

ferroella cat

bn pleco

5 kulli loach will not restock

2 cory will not restock

i am thinking of adding a L pleco, and maybe a few peaceful type cichlid....

About every 7-10 days i change 40-60% of water change nitrates at 5ppm.... havent checked nirites or ammonia in a while... i was under impression that once tank is cycled this was less necessary...

Cant say im concerned with flow.... i just want more fish and wasnt sure if current cannister is cutting it. There is waste on bottom i just assumed more vacuuming. I find sand much harder to clean than the gravel i had in old tank.

Pisces has fx6 for $220, and figured be nice to have a excellent filter.

Isnt fx5 for 100 gallon?

Ckmullen plants are doing well... cant wait til next water change so i can place them better. Thanks again.

My stock

2 three spot gourmis

20ish neon tetra/cardinals

2 bolivian rams

5 zebra loach

3 bosemani, will be 6-8 soon

ferroella cat

bn pleco

5 kulli loach will not restock

2 cory will not restock

i am thinking of adding a L pleco, and maybe a few peaceful type cichlid....

About every 7-10 days i change 40-60% of water change nitrates at 5ppm.... havent checked nirites or ammonia in a while... i was under impression that once tank is cycled this was less necessary...

Cant say im concerned with flow.... i just want more fish and wasnt sure if current cannister is cutting it. There is waste on bottom i just assumed more vacuuming. I find sand much harder to clean than the gravel i had in old tank.

Pisces has fx6 for $220, and figured be nice to have a excellent filter.

Isnt fx5 for 100 gallon?

Ckmullen plants are doing well... cant wait til next water change so i can place them better. Thanks again.

Some of them fish are very small and more current maybe too much,i have a classic 600 eheim on a 90 gal with 6" cichlids with sand,i find the sand easier because the waste can't get trapped like gravel,i use to vacuum gravel and be shocked at the garbage trapped in it.