Hello From a Taber Ram Breeder

Ryan

Hello,

I have been looking for a good freshwater site for the west fro a while now. Looks like a good Site. I am breeding rams right now. Well actualy right now I am establishing my pairs. You can check it out on my site.

http://ryandoolittle.tripod.com/ryansdwarframs/

It has everything on it. Tank pics, tank info, ram pics, other fish pic, other pets pics, let me know what you think about it. Anyway I am always looking to add to my collection and right now i am looking to get rid of some larger cichlids so let me know if you have any thing south american you are looking to get rid of.

Hey there Ryan, those are good looking rams. I could make one small suggestion though, go to an all low light plant collection and some nice tall plants that will diffuse your lighting a bit, your rams will double their color in diffused lighting in no time. Also as a great ram food, the flake you can get from Kensfish or Trident wholesalers in Edmonton known as Vitaboost flake is awesome in bringing out color due to the naturose in it I like to mix a little Agar in with it to help brighten the blue as well. Furthermore Get yourself if you don't already have them, both a grindal worm and daphnia culture my preference is moina. In my past experience it has been best breeding the rams in 10 gallons bare bottom with a nice flat stone or flower pot as a spawning medium. once the pair has spawned I always remove my females and let the males tend to the nest.

I just thought I'd add that since I wasn't sure on how much you have spawned these gems. I have had my best success raising fry on golden pearls and BBS though I have found that Sera micron goes down easily with them as well.

Anyways good to have you aboard, If you are looking for Bigger SA's and want to grow some out too bad you aren't closer as I am clearing out my geophagus brasilliensis fry, I have mixed these with rams very well although even at 10" angels are a little rough on them at times. Take it easy and happy fishkeeping. Here is a link to a pic of my rams and well most of my fishroom that I am closing down soon to move, sniff sniff.Fintastic Finatics

Why are you closing down your fish room. I would love to have one built. I am only 17 still living with my parents so i have to do what i can with the 40 gallon seeing my mom wont let me get another tank. I have bought a tank divider to seperate a pair of rams when they are breeding. My main dream with the freshwater tank is to have a 180 gallon tank. Full of Drift wood and mangrove roots, only south american plants and fill it with 5 Discus, a pair of rams, pair of cockatoos, and tetras. I think this would be absoloutly stunning.

How do I difuse the light in that tank? Any Ideas.

Do you mean a tallish plant whose leaves float on the surface and filter the light somewhat? I have some tall vallisneria (i think that is what it is) that I need to prune out of my tank. I could give Ryan some of it. It is very very tall, looks kinda grasslike.

Welcome

Not sure how tall you tank is but i use crypts in my ram tank. My tank is only a 15g and the crypts reach the surface(dont' really float on the surface though) and become fairly dense after they grow out. My ram loves it and it always swimming in and out of them. I also noticed a great improvement in his color after reducing the lights on his tank, really brings out the blues.

I am planning of using my 25 gallon tank as my breeder tank. 16 inches high. I would love some cutting of these plants you are talking about. ABwildrose i would like some of your plants also. But going to medicine hat for a few plants in not worht the trip i am sorry. Maybe we can get them greyhound down i wonder if that would be cheaper than gas? I also have elodia in my tank to help and some java ferns but those wont kick in for a bit the elodias are to the top which isnt a surpirse due to the light over my tank.

lol...I was thinking more along the lines of dropping the plants off at your place (or somewhere else in Taber) on my way through town some time. I know I will be going past on my way to Lethbridge at least once before school starts. Send me a pm if you are interested in meeting somewhere in Taber...I may be passing through on Tues.

No no other LFS the closest is me and 2 other guys one is african (just getting started) another is SW and i am south american thats about it. Closest one is LEthbridge. I enjoyed our chat also realy opned my eyes to discus. I have decided to hold out on them for a bit wait till i get the nak with these rams first.