Fish Emergency, Johanni Chiclid Keep Falling Back To The Bottom

t3ch

Hi all,

I hope you can help my out with this. On Friday one of my Johanni Chiclid started to have issues swimming, she keeps falling to the bottom or on her side, otherwise she seems to be acting normally. Anything I can do to help her? I should have posted on here much earlier...

I took a video to show you her behavior: https://youtu.be/zk0jlkDBbzw

Edited by t3ch

There's a very good chance (assuming she's in with other mbuna) that she was hit hard by another fish and damaged her swimbladder... also may just be a swimbladder infection.

I wasn't able to watch the vid, maybe it's set to Private?

If it is swim bladder and it looks like it to me...

Treatment

• Do not feed for 3 days, then feed skinned peas
  • Increase water temp to 80
  • Lower the water level to make it easier to reach the surface
  • Hand feed during treatment, if needed
  • Use broad spectrum antibiotic if indicated

Good luck.

Hi all,

Little update:

Yesterday I moved her to my 60 gallon I was getting setup for my angelfish, so now lucky her she has the whole tank to herself, so now at least other fish don't pick on her. Looks like she is fairly active in the tank and swim around even though it looks tough. I tried feeding her peas but she didn't eat them, she didn't eat her regular food either. My water temperature was already 82 degres as it is the temperature I keep my angelfish and african chiclids.\

Tyler: what do you mean by broad spectrum antibiotic?

Well if it's an obstruction then starve her for a few days and it might clear on its own. Then try feeding a skinned boiled pea. See if that helps, it should clear up if it's a blockage. Make sure to add some aquarium salt.

If it doesn't clear up within a week and you think it is bacterial then you will need some good, strong brand of antibiotics for this such as Furan 2.

Thanks Tyler,

I guess i'll use some aquarium salt and wait a few days see if she gets better on her own. At least in that tank she's not getting picked on by all the other fish... in the other tank my loaches were "feeding" on her, and other chiclids would pick on her