Cardinal Tetras In Yyc H20

FunkSolid

A member of my family really wants to have a school of Cardinal Tetras in their 26G. I'm nervous because my tap water is 8.3pH (Calgary Glenmore Reservoir) every single time I have tested it. To this point I have only kept species that thrive in hard alkaline water. I'm not interested in altering water chemistry at all, or in RO.

Is it futile keeping these guys in Calgary tap water?

Thank You

Thats fine for tap water but not for aged aquarium water that has been cycled.

I think I wrote that wrong. This is for cycled 26 Gallon tank, with a Fluval 205 Canister. Fake plants and inert substrate, so i'm wondering about the futility of those guys with the pH staying steady at ~8.3?

I keep 1000's of cardinals, and other SA fish in Calgary water but what's the real culprit is the NH3/NH4 at a pH of over 7.2. The smallest amount of NH3/NH4 at these high pH's is quite deadly. Since I don't want to fiddle with the pH and lower it and create a flux within the pH I just work with what I have.

1) I do frequent bi-weekly water changes and replace my ammonia remover often.

2) Feed the fish as much as they'll eat in 15mins to avoid excess waste - I starve my fish weekly from Friday to Monday morning as its good for them. (Probably should do that for myself as well!)

3) I also aerate my tanks with an air pump with a 6"-18" stone for emergencies but it's main use is to help break up the surface gases. (Get a dual power air pump that will come on in emergency power losses to avoid issues as most pumps are 50.00 but the collections of fish are 100-1,000's if we are honest with our spouses!)

4) I use circulating heads to move the water around to avoid dead spots within the tanks.

Edited by cjerrom