Cheap Dirt - Where To Buy

elf_poop

6'x2'x1" = 72" * 24" * 1" = 1728 cubic inches = 0.0283 cubic meters. For that small of an amount - just get large bags of the right potting soil from even perhaps Canadian tire - sometimes they have a few bags still in the back, or from any greenhouse center? Or a fraction of a load from Burnco calgary. Landscaping supply stores charge a reasonable amount for dirt, fill, etc. I think I paid a bit less than 200$ for 10 cubic yards (delivered).

Edited by Iceturf

Sorry I'm not very funny, I guess that's why I'm biological sciences. Normally I source all my research materials from chemical supply companies like Sigma-Aldrich, but since I needed dirt, I didn't go to them. For some strange reason they dont supply dirt. (That was another joke) ;-)

Using the mix outlined by Ckmullin, something like this

5-10% peat moss

5% invert gravel

5% vermiculite

5-10% worm poop

remainder: dirt (dirt that doesn't have twigs, pesticides, etc in it)

Measured by volume in rough amounts.

I followed this roughly along these lines. I used nice black dirt from our garden out back - cooked large chunks of dirt for a few hours, to dry it out, and break down the chunks into smaller sizes (when cooked at 450*F it seems to change texture, makes it easier to break apart). Sifted the results, ended up with a fine powder. Then mixed from there. Whatever you prefer, though I recommend cooking the end mixture for a while to sterilize it. This might seem silly, but if you do a dry start you don't want bugs and other things hatching. Definitely sterilize the dirt and the worm castings.

FunkSolid - ahh! Gotcha. What kind of research do you do as a biological scientist?

Edited by Iceturf

You can pick up the Miracle Grow Organic (one with no added ferts) from Rona at Sunridge has 6 in stock according to the online.

http://www.rona.ca/en/soil---organic-potting-soil?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Baking dirt sounds like too much work!

Though, hesitant on marketed "organic" dirt (afraid they'll add toxic stuff no appropriate for fish).

I will probably try the dirt from stores and "test the waters" (haha) with goldfish, then gradually move to more delicate species.

Do most of you suggest 1" dirt? I am planning to do sand on top for bottom dwellers (?). - Will eleocharis parvula (dwarf hairgrass) hold with sand on top and how much?