Fluidized Sand Bed Filters

Eugene

I've had some over the years, have built my own a few times; however, last time I was running a fishroom breeding operation, I simplified a lot and went to HMF filters on everything. If you have a big bioload, they're great to add for a single tank.

Making your own cuts down on the cost, but you're still going to need at least a powerhead, or find a way to run it inline on a canister w/o losing the sand into the filter incase of reverse flow, for every tank. Air-run filters are great b/c you can filter many tanks w/ just 1 or a few mechanical pieces.

I had one a long time ago.

The main problem is that there are virtually no advantages to a fluidized bed filter. They don't achieve anything that a basket of bio-media doesn't do just as well. If you really need more filtration why not just get another canister?

You complicate the plumbing and put yourself at risk of blowing a cloud of sand into the tank or filter.

The textbook advantage of a fludized bed filter is efficient space usage, but the extra plumbing you need will offset that anyways.

I'd take a sump over a fluidized bed no question.

• 1 month later...

I have two of these, each in a 1,000 gallon system. BEST filters I've ever had.

The big advantage is the backwash.

You never have to get your hands wet or manually wash media.

I have had mine about 7 years now with no problems.

A little bit of plumbing for years of easy maintenance.

Def worth it!!!!!

I have a massive bioload with 10 fish at 12 inches each in each tank plus many smaller fishes.

I went with advantage plus (from "Sacramento Koi", very good people to deal with)because it has a see thru lid and you can see how clean the beads get after a water change.

Edited by Pikeaholic