Advice For This Aquascape

elf_poop

Hello experts!

I'm really obsessed with the "steppes" in this: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show209.html

I want to do something similar to a 120 gal. tank but have never attempted such a feat before.

• What is your opinion of real rocks vs. Styrofoam+grout?
  • Do plants grow on grout and if I went the unnatural route, would it be safe for fish? Which type of coloring would you add to the grout for a more sandy color that's safe for fish?
  • Is the amount of sandstone* required for halfway (1') up the tank and 5' across too heavy for the tank?

Another example rock structure below:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/77ae97b4494b409a105de5f359bd5b49/tumblr_ml5robOb8S1s3c1oao1_1280.jpg

*just realized this is sandstone

post-6823-0-73036700-1451960677_thumb.jpg

Edited by elf_poop

I hate grout. Helped my Dad build his house, we laid all the tile ourselves, etc. I found grout tends to never be the colour advertised. I think grout is a cement based mixture, so I wouldn't recommend it in the aquarium (unless you want hard water). I had a similar idea with the stepping, except using slate. (Slate from Home Depot, 3$/sqft 1/2" thick)

In terms of strength, if you estimated how heavy all your stone would be and the glass thickness, I could check strength tables for glass and silicone sealant to guesstimate yay or nah. I would imagine it would be strong enough though - I've watched youtube videos where people stack large stones to fill most of an aquarium, the biggest worry with glass is point load stress. Glass is fairly strong in tension, and somewhat strong in compression, but those point loads are what break glass. I would suggest you apply silicone to the bottom stones, or maybe to the bottom of the tank, to help spread out the force. Some people use foam or something along those lines? Blah.