Seeding A New Filter Question

firestorm

Just wondering how long it typically takes to seed a new sponge filter? I have one going in my 75 gallon which is fully stocked, and I would like to move it over to a 5 gallon where I'm also transferring over my spawning mop that has Boesemani rainbow eggs on it. Just hoping after a few days in the tank that it's seeded enough to prevent the tank from cycling. .....or I can take the AC 30 off my 25 overstocked holding tank and put it on. It's been going on there for over a week now along with my AC 70

I would attach a sponge to the intake to avoid fry being sucked up :)

Edited by firestorm

Not sure about sponge filters but I would assume if it's already been running for a decent amount of time (>6 weeks) in another tank it should be more than seeded so transferring it over shouldn't put it into another cycle.....unless you're way under stocked in the 75 g and way over stocked on the fry tank (which I doubt if it's just fry). If you've been running a different filter w/ the fry just remove your media and leave the media in the tank if your really concerned.

Well currently in my 75 I have 11 Boesemani rainbows, 2 full grown BN plecos and their fry, and 11 penguin tetras. It's fully planted. Sponge filter I put in there 3 days ago, I also have my Rena XP4 running on that. And my 25 gallon I'm holding a bunch of rainbows and tetras for a friend for now and that one has an AC 70 and an AC 30 running on it (it's way overstocked). I was going to set up a 5 gallon to move the spawning mop over to so that my fry have a better chance at survival lol. I don't mind doing daily water changes, but I don't want them to die from an ammonia or nitrite spike either!

The eggs just need a few bubbles of air per second -till hatching takes place. Since boesmani hatch in 6-10 days depending on temperature, your "new" sponge will be fine by then. Just transfer it in the first day or so after hatching.

You will need smaller than 50 micron food for the first week to 10 days.