My Puffer Community

Pufferpack

I managed to get a couple clear shots of my puffer community tank that I thought I'd share with y'all :)

Mostly Dwarves in this shot:

IM004579.sized.jpg

The girls getting together to chat while the guys keep watch:

IM004578.sized.jpg

*plays Sesame Street music* One of these things is not like the others, can you guess which one before I finish my song.

IM004589.sized.jpg

Cheech & Chong playing with their little bitty buddies:

IM004574.sized.jpg

Hunter (one of my S/A's) coming to check out what's going on:

IM004482.sized.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't find them much more difficult than any of the other fish I keep, but the initial set up uf the tank was a bit trickier. I had to ensure that it was heavily planted enough that the aggression levels stay to a minimum, while leaving enough open water swimming space to keep them from swimming up and down the glass all the time. Due to their messiness while eating I use double the filtration on my puffer tanks to turn the water over at least 10x/hr. and provide varried currents for them to play in. Puffers will usually not eat flake or pellets, so a constant supply of live or frozen foods is necessary, as well as a regular supply of snails and other "crunchy" foods are required to keep their constantly growing teeth worn down (saves the puffer keeper from having to trim the teeth manually).

Puffers are scaleless fish and therefore highly sensitive to ammonia and nitrites in the water, so regular weekly water changes are a must.

After typing all this, I guess I would have to say they are a little more high maintenence than the other fish I care for....but they are definately worth it. :D