Big Bubba C02

HOSStile

After having a minor overpressure problem on my first 2 liter pop bottle reactor, I refer to it as Old Facefull because of the way she blew off when the output line plugged up. :boom:

Reactor number 2 is based on a 5 liter big Bubba beer can, which the beer stores were blowing out at 10 bucks each last year :drunk: I combined this with an old water filter that I removed the filter from and filled half full of water with a tube coming down from the inlet. It kind of cool in that I just turn the tap to expell the depleted yeast sugar mixture, at least in theory, I have no idea how long this thing is going to run on 4 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar.

On my todo list is to find a bubble counter cheaper than the 24 dollars that Petland wants, and to use brewers yeast and different sugars. :)

Edited by HOSStile

Bubble counters are easy to build.

What you need is a piece of 3/4" Ridgid tubing approxamately 5" long and 2- rubber stoppers. Drill a hole for 1/8 " ridgid tubing in each stopper. Place one stopper firmly in each end of the tubing. Ther now you have a bubble counter.

Use heater holder to place it on the outside of your tank. Place a one way check valve into the line going into the bottom of the counter.

Ridgid tubing can be purchased at most LFS locations in Edmonton or Calgary.

I posted a picture of a regulator and bottle with this counter under one of Milans posts on C02.

It is under C02 Concentration; ph vs. kh

Garhan

index.php_act_Attach_type_post_id_2055343

Edited by Garhan

Thanks it is hard to say which was a better use of the little keg, before, ice cold on the deck on a hot summer day :drunk: or bubbling C02 in a fish tank....let see.....

Any way I used a little more water and yeast than the official recipe because the yeast was 4 years old and I am using it up. So the mixture I used was 4 cups water 1 table spoon yeast (bread machine yeast) and 3 cups sugar. Normal should be about 1.5 tea spoon with 3 cups water and 5 cups sugar.

Edited by HOSStile

IMO, your mixture is quite a bit on the rich side, in terms of both sugar and yeast. Most recipes I have come across call for 2 cups of sugar with 1/4 tea spoon of (brewer's) yeast on 2 lit of water. Some use baking soda as a stabilizer.

Here is a good info on this:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Edited by Milan

I based my mix on Garhans' link

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html same as yours.

and as I said I had some serious doubt about my yeast so I used lots. Are you saying 2 liters of water with 2 cups. That certainly sounds reasonable. I am using a stabilizer left over from my beer making days. I will adjust my recipe each time and see which gives me the longest consistant yield. this the excerpt that I read.

Yeast Generator

Guidelines for Mixtures and Capacities

It is important to understand that the yeast/sugar/water mixture is not a precise science. You will have to experiment to find what works best for your situation. I will give some suggestions in this section on formula's based upon the scientific data presented above and my own personal experience.

Mixture Formulas

For two-liter bottles:

2 cups water

2 cups Sucrose (cane sugar)

¼ teaspoon Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast

¼ cup tepid (ideally 104ºF) water

The yeast should rehydrated first in the tepid water. The aseptic method mentioned previously should be used.

This is the easiest formula, using the most widely available ingredients. This mixture can last up to approximately 16 days, if the aseptic method is used.

An improved formula is:

1½ cups of water

2½ cups Sucrose

¼ teaspoon Wyeast Labs, Eau de Vie vintners yeast

The aseptic method mentioned previously should be used.