Broken Eheim 2213 Impeller Shaft

chlwong

I got an eheim 2213 from a friend and he said he upgraded a while ago. Only problem was that the shaft was broken.
My understanding is that they use ceramic due to the low friction, etc etc. But it just seems extremely fragile and i know i'd probably break it again if i replaced it.

Has anyone ever tried replacing the shaft with a stainless steel one or another metal?

Yeah, i looked at those and i looked at other forums. Would stainless steel be okay? Someone said that it would eventually oxidize and create friction.

Someone else also cleaned out an ink tube from a pen and used that, which seems a little sketchy to me..

They aren't that fragile, I currently have 6 Eheim canisters running with the oldest around 8 years and I've never broken a ceramic shaft.

I have to agree with you Ron. I have never had any issues with ceramic impeller shafts. When I do maintenance on my motor heads I take them apart with surgical precision and care because I know how much parts are, and dont want to break anything including plastic covers and the like. I have probably removed internals over 100 times (4 canisters X monthly maintenance X two years) having no issues.

Interesting. Maybe they weren't too careful. They do seem pretty solid, just assumed they were easy to break from what was left!

I got a new shaft from bigal's since the bushings were also missing and $13 was fine.

Thanks guys!