CO2 Start Up Questions

amedublu1

Hi all, I have a 30 gal tank I am looking to add a CO2 system to. Note I have fish too. I have a few very newbie type questions to ask for your ideas on, and because I'm not super handy person.

1. So basic but...how do you change out your CO2 bottle?  Meaning...

• Can your tank go a few days without CO2 or should I worry about pH changes killing my fish?
  • Do you have a place that will do a same-day refill?
  • Do you have two CO2 bottles or can I get away with one?  I was planning on having a 5lb size because that is what will fit in my cabinet but I've read enough forums about problems finding a place that will refill because that size is not worth their time. 

2. At what tank volume/pressure do you get your tank refilled?

3. I have a second hand regulator that is set up for two aquariums.  How should I convert this for use to one aquarium?

• it has two outlets after the solenoid for tubing to attach. I think each outlet has it's own needle valve. 
  • It looks like one of the outlets and it's valve could be removed and plugged with a brass fitting, not sure on size of plug or where to buy one. But it looks to be well sealed, tight! I'm worried about doing damage by trying to take it off. 
  • Or is it better to keep the regulator set up for two tanks and not mess with the brass connection, and use a hose "tee" to take the CO2 from two outlets down to one hose?  If so, does the tee have to be brass or rated for pressure, or could I use the basic plastic airline type tees found at a pet store?
  • Do you have an idea I have not thought of!

Looking forward to reading your ideas. I know I have a lot of questions, but I appreciate any that you can help with.

1. I know a lot of people who bubble CO2 into their tank by day, then add aeration at night without problems, so going some time w/o CO2 appoint be a problem on healthy systems. If you're in Edmonton, OxyPro has an exchange program where you drop off your empty tank and get a full one - takes 10 min and I've done that with 5-20lb bottles.

2. I'm lazy and just run the bottle empty. However, I remember when I had a very simple regulator that is have to monitor a little closer bc it would dump when it approached the end - my tanks may do that now, but I've not seen anything to cause alarm, so I just assume my regulators work better.

3. I have a similar regulator and I just close the other needle valve