Planted Tank Conversion Tips

JFK833

Hey guys. I'm looking to convert my current 50 gallon fish tank into a planted tank and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know besides changing out my gravel substrate for one that's for planted tanks and possibly a CO2 kit. The lighting I got with my tank is T8. Anything you guys think will be helpful for a successful conversion please pipe up and let me know.

Check your kelvin temperature on your bulbs, 6700k is best. Get the plants that work in your water and your lighting. Add some general fertiliser and you should be good..

There is no 'one correct way' to do it. I am growing plants on sterile pool filter sand, play box sand, as well as Edmonton river valley mud, sand with potting soil and the expensive ADA soils. Even those with sterile sand don't get fertilizer, just occasionally some trace minerals as my tanks run on pure RO water. Some grow just in sun light, others with fancy LED lights or DIY LED lights, some grow in the near dark under a layer of floating plants. In brighter light with more nutrition plants grow more robust but in the end I find plants to be very adaptable. The one thing I don't use is gravel. You can grow plants in them as well but I prefer a not-too-fine sand.

Of course some plants are more demanding than others. Floating plants and plants that can take up all their nutrients from the water (and can be grown without planting) obviously don't care much about the soil. Plants from rich boggy soils are probably more picky but I grow swordplants and most stem plants just fine. To give an extreme example: Tonina fluviatilis is supposedly a high-tech plant that needs bright light, rich soil, CO2 and fertilizer. I grow it submerged in a zero tech tank with no light (just sunlight), CO2, or filter, not even an air stone. Again mine are not as picture-perfect as those pampered to perfection or the once I have that grow emerged, but they are growing.

If you want to grow plants that demand high light intensity or want the high-tech look then getting the bright lights, special soils, and a CO2 setup is the way to go. If you want an IMHO more natural look then it really doesn't have to be that hard.

It's true, there are about as many ways to grow plants as there are people on this forum!  I used the expensive plant substrates years ago, but gave them up for regular Playsand and dose dry ferts in the water column - I may add some root tabs under Crypts or Swords, but inert sand works fine for me.  I like decent amount of light (T5HO or LED) and CO2, using the Estimative Index method of fertilizing and have been able to grow almost every plant I've tried.  Without fertilizing, I've had trouble growing some of the more picky/rare plants.

Well I decided to plant the 20 gallon. So far I have an Anubias Nana, Anubias Hastifolia, a moss ball and I don't know what the other 3 are. They're all the same plant. They're on the sides and the center in the back behind the piece of drift wood. I have the plant substrate under the river rock. It doesn't look like much now, but; I'm hoping that they'll come into their own and fill the tank up. I also want to get some Java Moss. The River Rock is nice to look at but I eventually want it all plants so the fish I want to get will pop.

Planted Tank1.jpg

Edited by JFK833

The mystery plant looks like it may be Java fern. Just google for it and compare to what you have as the picture isn't entirely clear. It is normally grown on wood (as are at least some of the Anubias) and don't like to be planted, so it is worth figuring out for sure what it is. Swordplants and cryptocoryne are examples of plants with good root systems that like to be planted. Some taller stem plants can be used to hide the equipment.

2 hours ago, biodives said:

The mystery plant looks like it may be Java fern. Just google for it and compare to what you have as the picture isn't entirely clear. It is normally grown on wood (as are at least some of the Anubias) and don't like to be planted, so it is worth figuring out for sure what it is. Swordplants and cryptocoryne are examples of plants with good root systems that like to be planted. Some taller stem plants can be used to hide the equipment.

Maybe but the plant looks greener and seems to be doing well in the tank already with it being planted. I'll take a better photo when I get home and I'll also stop in to the LFS here and talk to the lady who sold them to me. The 2 small ones on the sides I got for free.