baked clay in the aquarium

Oxquo

I am wondering what oven baked clays have ben sucessful around here. I here there are atleast two that are safe but that is all the info I know so far. Kiln drying is possible but but not all those clays are safe for fish either. I am guessing the clay used in terra cotta pots could be available in Canada but have yet to find it. What can I say, it's winter and time to improve the seasonally neglected aquariums.

There was some discussion on the Aquatic Plants Digest a couple of years ago about Redart (or was it Red Art) clay. You could Google "Aquatic Plants Digest" and run a search in their archives for red art or redart clay. I remember them talking about the difference between the two - or maybe they were saying they're the same thing... I can't remember.

There was a guy in Vancouver who was making his own fertilizer clay balls - sent a few my way when I bought a bunch of plants from him a few years ago. Try Googling "Steve's planted tank" - I think that's where I found him...

Hope this helps!

I am currently using a clay cave I made in my plecos tank.

It's been in there about 4 months. No deaths.

I can't remember the name of it, but it comes in a brick. I made sure it said "non-toxic". I found it at Michaels. (Craft store). Earth clay.

Don't remember anymore about it. I would not try it again because after baking it far longer than I should, it still seemed "'soft".

But it didn't kill any fish.