Rabid Clown Loach??!!!!

k9outfit

Not sure what's happening...

I have 6 Clown Loaches in a 180 with Haps & Peacocks, all looking great (got the loaches ~5 months ago). I'm sitting here watching my fish, and suddenly one of the larger Loaches turns from a velvet black to a dusty blue-grey and starts harrassing all the other loaches and some Borleyis! He's actually biting them! :o Anyone have any ideas about what's happening?

I'm horrible at estimating sizes, but my best guess would be around 2-2.5 inches?

None of the other loaches (or other fish for that matter) are horribly impressed if that's his idea of "romantic overtures"!

Edited by k9outfit

I would agree, in my experience, that this is a dominance behavior. Two of my legion of 14 loaches show this kind of coloring, but I only seem to notice it around feeding time. There is always a mad dash to the NLS pellets, but the two bullies take it one step further and make rounds to the other loaches to makes sure they don't have any extra-special food (at least it looks like they are inspecting for more goodies). Most of the actual disputes that occur are between these two guys anyway, so everyone else seems quite tolerant.