Cleaning rocks

Vallisneria

OK, i'm tearing down one of my tanks that is infested with blue green algae. I need to clean the rocks to make sure i don't transfer any of the badness to my new tank. I was planning on cleaning them with bleach but my dad bought the wrong kind. He bought Javex with fiberguard. It doesn't say the ingredients but im' pretty sure "fiberguard" isn't safe for fish.

So how else can i go about sterilizing my rocks? Would ammonia work? I have a half bottle of that left over from fishless cycling. Or do you think this "fiber guard" bleach is safe to use if i make sure i rinse enough? Or will hot water out of the tap be hot enough to kill the algae? I know if i boil them it would do it but i'd rather not have to do that.

Blue green algae? Well, it's a cyanobacteria, treated easily with erythromyacin or longish term blackouts.

Even sterilizing everything, you're not going to eliminate the problem, BGA bacteria is in the air, our drinking water, everywhere. Simply cleaning out the tank won't make it go away. You've got to treat the root cause of the outbreak (often caused by poor flow, high nitrates - and I still believe high silicates)

Andy

Yeah, i know. I tried solving the Blue green algae issues. But thats not really my issue anymore. I am tearing down the infected 15g and using the rocks in another tank. So i need to clean the rocks to make sure i don't bring any stuff with them.

So far i've been soaking them in really hot water and i added a bunch of salt. ALl the BG algae is gone( it scrubbed off easily) but the rocks are stained greenish. Is that ok or does it mean that there is still some algae left on them?

IME, you can't really 'get rid' of BGA - like Andy said, it's everywhere. However, from what I've learned through the school of hard knocks is that if you let it dry out, it usually kills what algae is alive :guns: (I know, cyanobacteria are a bit of a different story).

But, if you keep good housekeeping (or tank-keeping, I guess) practices, you won't really have the problem again.

This tank got BG algae because it was neglected. I haven't had BG algae in any of my tanks ever before this one. So i'm hoping that if i clean these rocks and start over my BG algae problems will be finished. I know that algae is everywhere but why give it a bigger chance by not sterilizing the rocks.

Anyhoo, I washed them all yesterday and they are looking clean. So today i setup my new tank :)