Holey plants

Oneiroid

Some of my plants in one tank are looking like they have been punched with holes. This damage seems to be mostly mid-plant on all that are affected.

Here is an example:

sm_100_1175.jpg

In the tank I have:

2 altum angels

10 rasbora hets

14 small clown loaches

3 otocinclus

2 small SAEs

At a glance, it looks like snail damage, but obviously there are no snails in my tank. And I really do not think any of the inhabitants have been nibbling at the plants. So I am thinking this is some sort of nutrient deficiency? I have DIY CO2 in there, I dose with Seachem's comprehensive formula (and sometimes with iron, potassium, and/or excel), and the light is over 3 watts per gallon.

Any suggestions?

That thread does describe the symptoms I am seeing... including melting crypts. Unfortunately, no one has posted any concrete success tactics. Maybe Epson salts, but I am suspicious that would help in my case.

My tank is otherwise as healthy as healthy can be. I will play around a bit with some dosing. Will report back if I find any solutions.

Thanks for the link Milan!

It's definitely a macro nutrient problem - if it isn't damage by any of your tank critters.

You say you're using Seachem's line. If you're dosing enough to feed plants that have supplimental CO2 (15+ppm), you're spending A LOT of money. The recommended dosing is way too conservative IMO/IME.

Since I've moved from dosing via testing to Estimative Indexing, I've had much more success. To find out more about EI check out this website.

Hope this helps some.

Just had another thought... if this is not a deficiency, could this be some kind of plant virus or some such?

Nah.... Hygrophyla polysperma is a huge nutrient hog - as long as the light and CO2 are there, it will absorb about any amount of NPK you can throw at it!

Incidentally, I'm told it is a virus that causes it's veins to show like that... go figure!

The general premise behind EI is to make sure you have adequate CO2 and lighting, then 'overdose' your ferts, doing 50% WC each week.

For my 55 gal, I have 120w T6 lighting, and 2 CO2 'misters' (1 is a pressurised system pushing about .5 bubbles/sec through a powerhead, the other is a DIY sys through a powerhead at the other end of the tank).

For dosing, I dose 1/4tsp KNO3 and 1/4 tsp K2PO4 every other day; and, 20mL Seachem Flourish on the off days.

Each Saturday, I do the trimming and cleaning, then do a 50% WC.

Plants are growing well, fish are happy, and it looks great.

HTH

BTW, I have the 2 CO2 powerheads on the timer with the lights. The CO2 mist could really drive the pH down overnight when it's not being used by the plants.

A great resourse for planted tank info is the Aquatic Plants Digest - you can subscribe at www.actwin.com, or just Google Aquatic Plants Digest

Here's the link for the Barr Report

I bought the K2PO4 from an hydroponics store. Had to order KNO3 from Greg Watson. You already have the Seachem :) I used to use Tropica Master Grow for micronutrients, but DADs (now Nature's Corner) didn't have any in the last time I was there.

I think it's cheaper to get whatever you can locally - I think dry ferts are definitely the most cost effective way to go!

But, like I said, they don't sell KNO3 here anymore, so I got mine from Greg Watson. I've had the 1lb bag for about a year, and there's still over 1/2 the bag left!

The KN03 you can get west of Dad's store with other ferts at the Hydroponics shop. It is about a block west of Henry's on the southside of the street across from Vienna Bakery

Sweet!!! I was living on the North end at the time, and everywhere I went said either it wasn't good for the environment (aka stump remover), or was being used to make bombs, so they wouldn't stock it anymore :o

Thanks Garhan!