Crayfish

Vallisneria

So does anyone here keep crayfish? I had a regular brown one a couple years ago. His name was Dr. pinchy and was really cool. So i thought it was time to try them again and he was really fun to watch. BUt this time i think i'm going to try one of the fancier varieties(maybe a blue one, or whatever i can find).

So does anyone have crayfish? What is your setup like?

they HAVE :o .

gave some to petland[8]

have some on hold for friend

gave some as birthday gifts

lost about 4 adults

when they were babies

I had about 80 of them.

they are mating again,

no signs of babies YET.

well be fine in 45g.hopfully will

be up & running by tomorrow?

cross your fingers for me :)

[rule of thumb is 20g for 2]

If it has to do with the footprint, a 20 long and 15 gal are the same size!! :)

If it has to do with the footprint, a 20 long and 15 gal are the same size!!

Actually a 15g and a 20gHigh have the same footprint(24"x12") a 20g long is longer(30" I believe).

I've been reading up on keeping more then 1 cray in a tank and everything i have read says that if you want to keep more then one you need a fairly large tank. Most places suggested a 30"+ tank and even then they still might kill each other. So I think for now i'm just going to stick with 1 in my 15g. Maybe add a couple cheap fish to fill out the tank a bit.

crayfish EAT fish,

you can try minnows but;

they will have chuncks out of them

Actually my last crayfish lived quite happily with a small school of zebra danios and a platy. He never killed or even hurt any of them. Plus the fish brought him out more. He was always out on top of his cave with his claws spread out trying to catch them. I put the fish in there knowing he may eat them and that was ok becuase they were only 49cent danios. They were quick enough to stay away from him.

Let me know if you find any Crayfish here in Edmonton. I wouldn't mind trying one, or maybe two, in my 20 gallon long. The blue ones look very nice, but I've also seen bright red ones on occasion, which I think, look even better!

Do both varieties keep their bright colours as they grow?

Hope I didn't hijack your thread Val :unsure:

was told the red 3.99 will

turn blue when feeding shrimp pelletsĀ  .

I don't know if it's true,but you can try.

my blue ones stay blue.little darker

with bigger claws.

I dont' believe red crayfish will turn blue if fed ceratin foods. The blue crays are a certain species/ morph and the reds are the same. Their color doesn't have to do with food. Food can affect the intensity of the coloring though.