Crayfish

Vallisneria

Let me know if you find any Crayfish here in Edmonton. I wouldn't mind trying one, or maybe two, in my 20 gallon long. The blue ones look very nice, but I've also seen bright red ones on occasion, which I think, look even better!

Do both varieties keep their bright colours as they grow?

Well big als didn't have any blue ones :cry: They had 2 really sad looking(missing claws, beat up) zebra crays(29.99$) and a tank full of "tomato" crayfish for 39$. The tomato crays looked ok but were kind of a pale red/redish orange color. I didn't think they looked nice enough to spend 40$.

So i went over to the south side pj's and they had a couple blue ones. They were a bit more pricey then what big al's sells them for(big al's are 29.99$ and pjs were 39$) but I also had a coupon that brought it down to around 30$. So i picked the biggest and blueist one they had :smokey: and they even threw in a couple minnows(hitch hikers that they couldn't get out of the bag,lol). So he was fairly expensive but really cool looking. He is settling in to his new tank and i'll try and take some pics tomorrow if he will cooperate :)

This one was just a baby when I got him and his 4 siblings. All of them were a nice baby blue colour....lefty was the only one to survive past the first couple of weeks and he started to change colour after about a month, turned brownish blue, then brown, then reddish brown, then lastly as red as a cooked lobster. He stayed bright red until his fatal escape a few months later. All in all I would guess the colour change took about 3 months.

I kept a blue one that started out as puffer food, but grew too big, after a while he turned bright red.

really, I haven't been able to find anything that says the blues can turn red after time. Everything i have found is that it is its own morph(or species) and stays blue.

The true blue ones do stay blue....they are bred for colour....some species undergo colour changes as they mature.