Community Tank: Compatibility

Mighty Prawn

From what I understand Betta's are quite docile and peaceful, in fact more likely to be bullied themselves by other fish. Unless paired with another male betta, when they will display, flare and attack. I believe they will also fight with other fancy finned fish, gouramis and fancy guppies come to mind. As well, I also believe Bettas are worse off in vases and small unheated tanks, considering they originate from asia in rice fields etc. where the waters were in the low to mid 80's. The room temperature water from a vase would tend to fluctuate with the temperature of the house, which would typically be in the low 70's. While they can survive low fluctuating temperatures, I'd say they'd be much happier in a stable condition.

As far as the current goes, the current from my filter doesn't seem to bug my betta at all, he spends most of the day and night at the bottom to middle of the tank hanging out by plants and drift wood, occasionally swimming around near the top in heavy current.

The reason my betta never comes off the list is cuz I've had bettas for 14ish years, both in smaller, unfiltered, unheated vases and bowls, and later in actual tanks. I never knew bettas had a personality until I made the transition to heated, planted filtered aquariums.

-Hideo

I used to breed Betta splendens. MP, you are right that they are much more active in something heated that is larger than a vase. I raised mine 20 gal tanks 'til you could tell who was a male - then they got a 5 gal, or 1 was put in a tank with the Apistos.

They are a surface fish, and I believe they feel more comfortable when they can hang out at the surface. Yours is probably sticking to the bottom b/c of the current at the top. I think it's the fancy fins that give the Betta a hard time swimming. I always used a small corner box filter and lots of plants in the tank.

I think I'm with HOSStile in moving him. Get a 5 gal tank and either a small 25W heater, or a heating pad from the drug store (a 5 gal tank would max out at 50lbs, not too heavy for the heating pad). Add some floating plants, some Java fern and a Crypt. or two, and you've got a happy fish!

Now you don't have to worry about his fins being nipped by the other fish - which tends to happen more than a Betta being a bully, IMO.

The AC70/300 is fine (in fact, I am a huge AC fan)....run it with just sponges or a combination of sponges and bio-max only....it will give you better capability.

As far as platys vs rainbows, go with the rainbows...nicer and they will not reproduce like platys will.

Damn, you bred Betta's?! Seems like a tough task. I've heard stories of having to use a jar for the female in the tank, waiting for the male to display etc.

So no carbon in my filter? I'm actually picking up some biomax today I think.

-Hideo

Damn, you bred Betta's?! Seems like a tough task. I've heard stories of having to use a jar for the female in the tank, waiting for the male to display etc.

It's a good thing I heard all those crazy tricks after I started breeding them; otherwise, I don't think I would have started! :o

It's a lot easier than what most people think - just like almost everything else in this hobby... :bang1:

I have heard that mentioned before that bettas should be kept warmer than room temp. I guess the fact that they keep these fish in little glasses give the new betta keeper the wrong impression on how to keep them. It has been many years since I saw a betta in a heated tank at an LFS, the place I do remember had on male betta in each tank with other fish. One betta that I have, Bob, I tried to put him in a 2 gallon heated tank and he hid behind the UGF pipe and would not eat. Now he in a vase albeit a large one, and he gets upset if he doesn't have his plant crowded in there with him. Oh and what I meant about aggression was either betta to the other fish or other fish to betta.