Pseudotropheus lombardoi?

jvision

These fish are indeed Pseudotropheus sp. "elongatus ornatus" with the male being blue and the female being yellow. They sold out quite a while ago and the tank was subsequently filled with Metriaclima lombardoi. Hope this helps.

So, both sexes start off blue, but only the male P. elongatus "ornatus" retain the blue? Sounds a bit backward for mbuna to me, but really I'm still pretty new to this type of cichlid. :huh:

The cichlids that PopEye purchased from BA's are Ps. "Elongatus Ornatus". The cichilds that Jason has could also be the same, but not fully mature. You can find pictures of both genders in in Ad Konings "Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat" 3rd Edition. In the picture the female is not bright yellow like saulosi or johanni, but more of a drab colour as described above, with a black line running along the dorsal fin.

These are the fish Gina bought from BA's! :lol:

As they age, the blue one is staying blue, and maybe getting a bit lighter/pearly. The drab one is getting more yellow. 'She' has gone from being almost as blue as the other, to this color, and getting more yellow in 'her' finnage.

BTW, they're in a tank w. Ps. elongatus "Chewere" - should I be careful about hybridization?

They are both in the "elongatus" complex so you will probably have to watch for hybridization. If you must keep them together, then you should make sure that you have males and females of both species, but there is still no guarantee that hybridization will not occur.

They are both in the "elongatus" complex so you will probably have to watch for hybridization. If you must keep them together, then you should make sure that you have males and females of both species, but there is still no guarantee that hybridization will not occur.
yeah I think you have to worry for sure

Well, I'm not totally sure what to do. I just scooped Summit600's P. lambardoi (yes, now I do have some!!), and am trying to figure out what to do.

I'm going to start a new thread regarding how to stock my tanks.

Thanks a bunch, everyone for helping me figure out what these fish are!!