Pseudotropheus lombardoi?

jvision

Got these two from Pop Eye (thanks, Gina!), and we've been trying to figure out what fish they are.

Pic. 1

DSCF0497.jpg

Pic. 2

DSCF0498.jpg

Pic. 3

DSCF0501.jpg

When I post pics, I use Picasa, and host them on blogger. Could that be why they don't show up sometimes?

Thanks Val for helping out. :)

I stopped by BAs again, today to check out what they've labeled as P. lombardoi. I'm inclined to say these aren't the same fish (but is that the tank you picked them up from??)

BA's lombardoi seem to have quite a bit fewer vertical bars.... :unsure:

OK, i've never kept these species but I looked through a bunch of pics(in my books and online) and it doesn't look like they are Kenyi. From the pics on cichlid forum it doesn't seem male kenyi have black in the dorsal and the blue guys dont' have the right color or pattern of barring.

They also dont' look like saulosi. The barring on the blue guy doesn't match up and the saulosi females dont' have black in their dorsals.

Don't think they are elongatus either, atlest i couldn't find a pic that really matched up to what yours look like.

So basically i have no idea what they are as i couldnt' find anything that looked like them in pics.Sorry :( If you want more of a chance at a postive ID you might want to try the ID forum at cichlid-forum

ps: Popeye, what species did you buy the fish as(the ones you gave to jason) and where did you buy them?

I got these from Als.

one of those labeling wrong things...

I got them as P. elongatus. But im pretty sure they didnt all sell out.

I think they changed the name to p. lombardoi a few days later

But Im not totally sure...

and neither is Jason

lol

I never kept these fish before.. SO I didnt notice that they were labeled wrong

It could very well be a Ps. elongatus of some type. I know that there is one with yellow females and blue males, but right now I don't have my book in front of me and can't remember exactly what locale they're from. I believe they're 'elongatus ornatus', but the C-F profiles only shows a male. I'll look up what I can and get back. But they are definitely not lombardoi/Kenyi or saulosi.

The lighter colored one, is turning yellow, I do believe. The edges of the dorsal and caudal fin are yellowing up, and, if in the right light (I've really gotta change to whiter lights) it looks a bit more yellow than pink.

Both were blue when I got them. And both are getting lighter.

BTW, I've got a few fish that BAs have, which are twice the size but aren't colored up as much as theirs. I'm feeding mine NLS. It got me wondering if they're doing something to their fish to cause them to color up sooner/younger - or perhaps they're stunted. Their "P. lombardoi" look that way, as their eyes are disproportionately large.

BAs fish are definitely different colors. They look similar to the fish I have (but less than 1/2 the size). It seems that one sex is blue, the other is more of a yellow (tho drab & colorless would be a better description).

Well, the more things change at my place, the closer I'm getting to setting up a couple of species tanks, and a display tank. Thinking these guys will be on display.