Aragonite

Mbuna Ron

I'm doing some "digging" for substrate for a soon to be 130 gall. frontosa tank. I have tryed PFS, and gravel, as well as Tahitian Moon Sand. The TMS is fantastic, although very expensive. I would like to encourage the natural sand sifting behaviour of frontosa however I am not sold on PFS. It is messy and still is an issue with impellers. So I was wondering what experience anyone has had with arragonite. It is very expensive but looks to have many benefits. Comments please!

The PFS I used was target brand. I picked it up at Western Pump. I used it in a 33 gall. and a 10. Although heavier than play sand, clean up is a bit tricky. If there is any algae formed on the sand, to remove the algae you inevitably get sand as well. When using a magnet on the glass, you have to be very careful not to get even a grain of sand on it so as to not scratch the side of the tank..and there is always a concern about the impeller even though I have had no problems to date. I will continue to use it on my 33 and 10 but am still searching for a better substrate.

The aragonite I was looking at is a much larger grain than the PFS. Apparently it buffers the PH so as to keep the tank at 8.3..a bit above Calgary's PH ..great for Tangs. Aragonite by CaraSea also claims to lower ammonia and nitrites and is more algae resistant than a silicate product, and no risk to impellers. ....but it is much more expensive...on sale now at Big Al's. I am using TMS in a 55 and absolutely love it. No algae, heavier than PFS, and no risk to impellers.

Chums has used aragonite in one tank with great results. Is anyone else using it?

Ron - I've used Carib Sea aragonite, and I personally didn't like the looks of it. My lighting isn't strong enough to get algae forming on the sand, and I've yet to have any sand reach any of my AC impellers. (I don't use the extensions)

I find it very easy to clean, but that's JMO.

Carib Sea makses a decent product, but you'd get better buffering results by adding it (or cushed coral) to your filter, and I seriously doubt that it has much affect on ammonia, or nitrite, when used as a substrate.

IMO, it would be a very poor choice for Fronts, due to the bright white color. I would look for a darker substrate so the Fronts colors don't become washed out.

Thanks for the advice Neil. I guess I should stick with PFS then for the Mimpibwe fronts.....any other choices??? :huh: ....and any tricks of the trade to share?? :)

Edited by Mbuna Ron

Ron - I agree with Darcy on the dark background as well. Last time I was at Don's he had two juvie tanks with F1 Mpimbwe's, one with a light bottom, and light background, the other very dark on the back, & fairly dark on the bottom, and the color on the two groups was like night & day. The Mpimbwe juvies in the darker toned tank had much deeper tones of blue.

The other thing I would suggest is to go easy on the lighting, or that too can wash out their colors. And last but not least, feed them NLS. B)

My F1 Mpimbwe's are from Don G. via Gold's. I'll go with the dark background and PFS...and of course NLS. :) All my fish are on NLS. My tropheus duboisis are even on it and there are no problems. I am pretty excited about the 130 gall. and am giving all the details a lot of thought. Thanks for the advice! ( Darcy and Neil)

If you're interested in some darker PFS, I'm getting rid of all the sand I've got in my 120 as soon as I move it this week (about 4" throughout the 18"x6' footprint). I've added I think about 10-20lbs of black sand to it to make it darker, but I absolutely hate the PFS (it's the target brand as well, got it straight from the supplier) and am going to be putting in silica frac sand (I work in the oilpatch and can get it for free, but anyone basically can if you know where to go). I find the PFS is a pain to clean, as it's so light that you can't vacuum it at all. The silica sand is slightly larger and probably more uniform in size as well, and seems to be much heavier so vacuuming is much, much easier. I've got the silica in just about all my other tanks, but when I was setting up the 120 I figured I'd try the PFS b/c I was in Calgary and didn't know where to get frac sand. I'm hoping to come up to Calgary this weekend, and could meet you somewhere.

Do you know where I can get silica frac sand in Calgary? Are the grains rounded or jagged? Kyle I may take you up on your offer but if frac sand is so much better then I'd like to try it. I'll check with consolidated compressor in Calgary. What are the drawbacks with frac sand? Neil and Darcy, have you tried it??

I've never used frac sand, but if Kyle likes it then I'm sure it's plenty good. I've stuck with the Target PFS as I like the natural look of it, and found that if I used my Python with the large vacuum portion removed, and hovered the hose just above the waste, it was a snap to keep my tanks clean.

I just checked with Consolidated Compressor in Calgary and they do have silica frac sand. For 88 pound bags it is 19.95. Apparently the grain is more consistent. I am not sure what makes it different from PFS but I will head over there today to check it out.