Hobby Terms

Magicide

In the last few months I've learned alot about the hobby and I'm well on my way to having a healthy planted tank. What I don't have is a full understanding of terminology. Much like when you start using the internet the lingo can take some time to get used to. By this I mean things like LFS for local fish shop ect.

The two that stand out are:

F1, F2 ect. As I understand this, it means the generations that a fish has been captive bread. So F1 had wild parents, F2 was born of F1 parents and so on.

The other thing I don't understand at all is the L## that goes with some fish, specifically I've seen it used with plecos. So even though a fish will have a latin name like Chaetostoma milesi, the common name is Bulldog Pleco L187. What does this signify?

Those are the two that stand out right now but I'm sure there are more I haven't though of.

Basically, the L# refers to fish in the Family Lorricididae (or however you spell it!) - Suckermouth cats. They're assigned a number before they're officially described.

And Wild Caught fish are F0, so F1 is first generation captive bread.