250 watt heater

seajays

The nice thing about this size heater in a small tank is that it won't be on much to keep the temp constant. OTOH, if it sticks, your fish will be cooked rather quickly :wacko:

I hear ya on the $$ issue John, but if your tank is within 10F of your room temp, a 250W heater is more than adequate for a 125 gallon tank.

Check this out.

http://www.kernsanalysis.com/HeaterCalculator.cgi

I prefer to run two heaters, with one taking the full brunt of the load, and the other set a few degress lower just in case the main heater fails in the off position, as well as to help handle the load if the room temp drops below 10F. (such as when a furnace fails when it's -25)

Heaters failing in the ON position seems to happen much more frequently than in the 'off' position, so I prefer to go with lower watts per gallon when possible.

Heaters failing in the ON position seems to happen much more frequently than in the 'off' position

I have to agree with that.

I had to learn the hard way about "cooking" fish

I am moving to the 2 heaters per tank with a combined outage of what the tank needs to stay at a good constant temp. Thatway if one fails it doesnt boil the little buddies.

Yes, I can see what you guy's are saying. According to BA's on line Visi-therm Stealth 100 Watt for a 25 gal and a 200 watt fora 50 gal . It is amazing how many heater filers there are. Since I have bought this Visi-therm deluxe there have found some negative reviews. But then again brand gets some negative reviews.