Nitrate

Pop Eye

Hello,

I was wondering what is the best way to get your nitrate level down. My nitrites are at 0 But my Nitrate is pretty high like 100. A few days ago I had my tank over stocked because I was moving fish around. Im guessin this is what caused the Nitrate spike a few days later..

I added prime to control the Nitrate... What else can I do??

As I mentioned to you (posting it for everyone else :) ), terrestrial plants will such nutrients out of the water almost instantly! Pothos, Peace Lilies, Ivy... find a way to get their roots in the tank. I've got Peace Lilies planted in my ACs - they're loving it! (just like McDonald's!! :lol:)

Thanks. I took out a bit over 3/4 water. Transfered all the fish into other tanks.. Put some plants in... Droped the Nitrate down to 40 then to 10.. Fish are back in and happy!!

I ussually keep plants in the african tanks.. they dont seem to mind them or eat them....

The nitrates were really high, fish looked a bit stressed. Only had about 7 fish in that tank anyways. So it wasnt a big deal to take them out...

Just wanted to play the safe side... Didnt want to loose any of them. They probably would have been ok...

I did water changes every day on the tank. and the nitrates wernt going down.. They were still way to high. After 4 days.. I decided just better to take the fish out..

Thats ok I let them play with some of the other fish. lol

I check the tanks fairly often.. I have never had a problem with Nitrates before.. But like I said I Was doing lots of fish moving around.. Had a couple of the tanks overstocked for a bit...

Medicated them for parasites.. which might have just thrown everything out of wack..

But all the tanks are good now... So its all good.. B)

Edited by Pop Eye