40 gallon tank with centre brace

fatpuffer

I want to hang a mh light but there is a black centre brace attached to the black frame.

Can I cut this brace off? Wouldn't the tank bow out. The tank is breeder size

36l x 18w x 15t (18 front to back and 15in top to bottom)...glass is 1/4inch thick

THanks.

I already ask Rob...but just want to know if anybody else has done it!

Jonah

Edited by fatpuffer

Jonah,

That black plastic does not hold the tank together. If it's going to bow a lot, that isn't going to stop it. The plastic is there for the glass top.

You could remove the top trim and replace it but it will be siliconed down, pita time. If you do decide to put a brace in there you have to consider a few things. You could run a couple inch wide piece along the font and back at the top or top and bottom but that won'r help much. You could also get a 8 or 10 inch wide piece and go front to back but if you did this at the top you would be right back where you are now. A 250w halide can crack that for you easy as pie.

For a 40 breeder I wouldn't bother, not tall enough to get worried. Just saw away and get going on that tank.

A

That black plastic does not hold the tank together. If it's going to bow a lot, that isn't going to stop it. The plastic is there for the glass top.
...the centre brace is part of the black frame around the tank

Sounds to me like the black frame on this tank, is there for more than just to support glass tops. All-Glass uses this type of design in all of their tanks. Their aquariums are made with one-piece injection molded frames, with molded-in center braces which eliminate bowing from water pressure. Either way, shouldn't be a big deal on a 15" high tank, with 1/4" glass.

Edited by RD.

• 3 weeks later...