240 gallon tank, full view

Froggie

I present to you, faithful viewers, the horror of my 240 gallon tank. Eight feet of questionable decor (rocks!) and a few too many breeding malawians for a tang tank.

abe.jpg

It's dimensions are 8'x30"x20".

Inhabitants include:

11 - Cyptotilapia sp. north "burundi" (largest is a 11 inch F2 male)

1 - Altolamprologus compressiceps

1 - Altolamprologus calvus

4 - Neolamprologus leleupi

10 - Metriaclima estherae (they bred themselves to a fair sized group)

5 - Syndontis petricola

5 – Protomelas marginatus (being bred in the tank)

1 - Sciaenochromis fryeri (exceptional fish, wish someone would buy him)

Taking a picture of the entire tank is exceedingly difficult. It's very wide and dimly lit. Settings used were 1/100, f/5 and 23mm. I pushed the exposure an additional two stops in post processing.

I might try a different approach in a day or two. I have an idea that "may" work.

Sean

You would think I could get by with a slower shutter speed, but the 30-40 pictures I took at 1/80 and 1/60 would disagree with you. You're likely right about the aperature though, I might have been able to lower it another half stop. The lens I shot with is, at it's short end, f/4.

The picture was taken at ISO 400, there was too much grain at ISO800 for my tastes.

I'd bet DIY as those Saskatoon boys love that stuff and are definitely the ones to talk to about it for anyone looking at doing their own.

Yes, it's indeed a wooden tank.

Kyle, you saw it last time you were through town when you picked up those S. fryeri females. Though it's since been moved and rearranged.

I've had some good luck with aquarium photos.

This is more for anyone in the thread who had trouble with this before.

If you don't have a wide angle lens, buy one, rent one or borrow one for your camera. This really really helps as you can get closer to your tank, and will have less clutter in the picture and more tank.

Second, use a tripod and a remote/wire trigger. The heavier and more stable the tripod the better. If you plan on getting the fish to look good as well, you're going to need flood lights. Otherwise, set it to manual exposure (I'm pretty sure every SLR, digital and manual should have this function), and test yourself to see what works best. I usually do increments of 5 seconds. Now, make sure the area is pitch black aside from the tank, otherwise light from other sources is going to hit the film and make the exposure less successful. Your fish will come out blurry, probably in a cool way. I also reccomend turning off any filter media etc. that causes current for this process so your plants do not sway as much. If they are still enough, they won't be too blurry and may even settle in a spot enough that it's actually sharp.

Otherwise, like I said before, for a nice photo with the fish captured decently, flood lights are going to work best so you can have a nice fast shutter speed.

And unrelated, when doing macro photos, get a lens hood, so you can use a flash, and it won't reflect off the glass and get into your exposure, it will only brighten your scene without the ruining effect of a big white glare. (However, be careful where you aim, as if you're shooting straight ahead, you will probably get a flash on the rear wall of a glass tank, causing a different effect of lighting up behind the fish, causing the fish to be very dark, and the backround of your aquarium nice and bright. I would consider inserting a safe, temporary black matte backround into the tank itself to prevent reflection/glare, making sure not to contaminate your tank, or disturb any plants)

P.S. That tank is loooooooooooooong, wow!

-Hideo