Tons of new plants

Vallisneria

Well I just thought I'd share about my trip to Aqua Giant today. Man do they have a ton of plants :shock: One whole wall of tanks is packed full and most of the floor tanks have plants for sale as well. Plus you can't beat those prices(0.99$-2.99$ for most). I picked up 6 bunches of vals, 4 water lettuce, 2 swords, 2 elodea bunches, and 5 mystery plants. All this plus fish came to 39$! I remeber Garhan saying that the plants were very nice and that you needed to go and see them. I'm just sorry it took so long to get down there. I had to restrain myself from buying more :P

So now for my question. I bought these 5 plants. I wanted something for the foreground and these guys were small. I asked the guy and he said they would only get about 4-5". They kind of have the look for vals(1cm wide leaves, about 3" long) and their leaves form a rosette. I'll take a picture of them later but i'd thought i'd ask. I"ll check on tropica to see if i can match them up.

So i suggest everyone go check out aquagiant if you havent' already and next time i'll listen better and go right away :P My only complain is they didn't have the species of plant labeled and not all the plants had a price on the tank.. That would make it easier.

Sounds like a type of Echinodorus - or sword. There is an 'E. tennelus' (micro chain sword) that isn't the true tennelus, and grows a bit bigger. If you use lots of light, it still tends to stall short; however, if your 2 wpg or lower, it will get 4"+.

Val, your mistery plant is probably a small sword like I described earlier. It looks like E. tennelus.

If it is the pygmy chain sword, keep it in a bright spot, and it'll soon spread and make a nice low carpet. If it is what is refered to as "false tennelus" then it'll spread, too, but will be a bit taller - better for more of a midground placement.

I believe the mystery plant is called Sagitaria Platyphylla or Giant Sag

That's right, it could be a Sagitaria sp. I used to have a tank that was taken over by Dwarf Sag. It grows much like Chain Sword, but the leaves are more errect - Chain Sword leaves tend to curl down a bit.

Giant Sag. looks like a stiffer, greener Valinseria sp. It'll reach to the top of your tank.

If you're looking for something to carpet your tank in the future (that is if this plant starts to get too big), let me know, I'll have more Chain Sword than I know what to do with... just threw out about 10 plants last night!