Pin holes in leaves

Vallisneria

I got a red lotus a couple weeks ago and noticed that it had a couple tiny pin holes in the leaves before i planted it. Since then i noticed that around the tiny holes is a bit yellow. What does this mean? What should i be adding to prevent this from continuing?

Right now I have 2 watt/gal, DIY co2 and i dose flourish and flourish potassium. I also add root tabs and Jobe's plant sitcks.

Here is a pic, it didnt' really show up well on camera but you can kind of see it at the leaf. Other leaves are worse then the one in the pic.

lotusleaf.jpg

That's it. It's odd that the Lotus (in my tank, anyway) is the only plant showing this deficiency. It's also odd that you're dosing K more than other macros, and it's a K deficiency that's showing... :huh:

I have Jobe's Fern Spikes under my plants - I know I pulled part of one up the last time I sold one of these. I'll have to check to see if there are any left.

I've found that these guys love to have their roots fed, so placing 1/2 a Jobe's Spike (use the ones for ferns) under you plant may help. BTW, the Crypts will LOVE it to!! :)

I"m already feeding jobe sticks. Maybe i just need to put more of them.

How often should i be adding new sticks?Every couple weeks or months? Right now I break 1 stick into a couple pieces and plant those around. I add new ones every couple months. Is this enough or should i be putting more?

From the looks of your tank, you're probably dosing right on. I don't dose any more than you do, and I have quite a few more 'hungry' plants than you do.... maybe it's time that I feed them roots again, myself. ^_^

So Val, if you had to break down the dosing of your ferts. What are you exactly dosing in a NPK ratio. Just because you dose K doesnt mean that the plants are getting the appropriate amount :bang1: . Also if your P04 is out of wack, then this could be a limiting factor in uptake of the N and K. We need lots more info to be of any help to you. So dont keep us guessing :well: . What are your water parameters in your tank, P04, Nitrates, Trace (Fe), tank size (real volume not theoretical). What are you dosing, how much and how often. C02 ppm reading, Ph, KH and soon, lighting, filteration and media in filter. -_--_--_-

OK well i haven'treally been testing anything in my tank tested. I just went and check and some of my tst kits are expired. So i'll give you what i can.

ph- 7.6(the color looks like it inbetween 7.4 and 7.8)

Nitrate- 5ppm

Ammonia and Nitrite both 0

KH- 8

I couldnt 'find my GH kit and i dont' have a PO4 or iron kit.

Using some Co2 calculator i found on the internet, it said my Co2 was only 6ppm. But my DIY co2 was disconnected for a couple days, i just reattached it yesterday.Hopefully it will go up, i'll test again tomorrow to see if its higher.

*The tank is a 58g, not sure of the actual water volume with all the decorations and gravel in there.

* 2watt/gal of the daylight bulbs from HD(just replaced with new ones)

* for substrate i just have regular gravel

I have been dosing 5ml flourish and 5ml flourish potassium once a week. I use flourish root tabs and jobes sticks for the subrate. I usually add new ones every couple months.

The filtration is 1 AC 300 and 1 AC150, each filter has 2 sponges. I modified the output in the ACs to not cause much water movement.

Umm, thats all i can think of. If i missed something or if you want mroe info just let me know.

I dont' really want this tank to become too high maintnance. I used to have it fully planted and did everything for the plants but i found that too much work to keep up and ended up nelgecting the tank. I just started getting interested again in plants so i dont' want the same thign happening. I just want a nice planted tank where the plants are happy but i dont' have to spend every day fiddling with it.

Are you sure there's something wrong with your tank? A lot of plants will lose their old leaves after being transplanted, so maybe you don't need to worry if it's just the new acquisition that seems to be affected. Do any other, established, plants in your tank show any holes? If the plant has a K deficiency, very possible depending on how long it was in the store, it could take it a little bit of time to recover and this would mostly be seen in new growth.

Are you sure there's something wrong with your tank? A lot of plants will lose their old leaves after being transplanted, so maybe you don't need to worry if it's just the new acquisition that seems to be affected. Do any other, established, plants in your tank show any holes? If the plant has a K deficiency, very possible depending on how long it was in the store, it could take it a little bit of time to recover and this would mostly be seen in new growth.

Naw, she got the plant from me, and most of my lotus' are the same - the larger, older leaves develop holes. Some of the Crypts in my tank are doing the same. I just gave them all some Jobe's spikes last night, so that should help 'em out.

The main goal is to have a balance of CO2, NPK, and traces. Once you have that right, everythings great. If you start to see algae, it means something's out... usually CO2, but sometimes it's one or more of the macros - rarely traces, if WCs are kept up.

Naw, she got the plant from me, and most of my lotus' are the same - the larger, older leaves develop holes. Some of the Crypts in my tank are doing the same. I just gave them all some Jobe's spikes last night, so that should help 'em out.

The main goal is to have a balance of CO2, NPK, and traces. Once you have that right, everythings great. If you start to see algae, it means something's out... usually CO2, but sometimes it's one or more of the macros - rarely traces, if WCs are kept up.

Some of my crypts also have some holes and yellowing, but they grow so fast that i've always just pruned out the bad leaves.

Algae isn't really a problem in this tank, I just get a slight film on the glass if i dont' clean it every couple weeks. Thats one of the reasons i'm worried about switching anything up. When I started "improving" the conditions for my plants last time i ended up getting BBA and after almost a year of trying to rid my tank of it i scrapped the whole thing and threw away all the plants and bleached everything. So far this tank hasn't had any algae problems, thankfully(been 3 years since the BBA and my attemps at "fully planted")

I bought some new flourish tabs and i'm going today to buy new jobes stick. Hopefully that will help out.

I dose a lot of ferts in my tank. The only 'problem' I have is with a bit of Green Spot Algae, which they say is due to a shortage of PO4, if CO2 is good. I've found since I've started "misting" my CO2, I've had vertually no problems.

When things start to get out of whack, algae comes, etc. This is the order that they recommend you check:

1) prune, clean filter, large WC

2) CO2

3) Macros

4) Micros

I've been having some great results dosing EI.

It's been a bit - I think they're in the photo section. Here are some from about a month ago:

RedTigerLotus.jpg

TigerVal1.jpg

These pics were taken when I was selling the Red Tiger Lotus (top pic) and Tiger Val (bottom pic). I am needing to thin out the Val again - go to the Buy/Sell soon. :)

This pic was taken last week, I believe.

e1837e96.jpg