Crushed Walnut Shells?

Can you use this stuff as a substrate? I have a bunch of it that I had in a tank for hermit crabs, but I never ended up getting the hermit crabs and have no immediate plans to do so.

So my question is, can I use the crushed walnut shell substrate in an aquarium? (For platies/danios/dojos).

P.S. I had a platy with a huge chunk taken out of its back that has been in a hospital tank for the last few weeks, and we were just checking her out, and she had a bunch of babies!!! So exciting, gonna put em in my snail tank right away cuz I don't know if the melafix will hurt them. Crazy fish is always full of surprises.

-Hideo

The walnut shells will leach into the water - I'm not sure if there are toxins in walnut, but at the very least, tannis will leach, lowering the pH and turning it a brown color. This would be great for any Amazon fish, but I know platys tend to prefer harder water. The danios would be fine - don't know about the dojo.