Convit fry

dragonfish

Wheee!!!! IMA DADDY!!!!!

my convits i recived courtesy of Sue Stack(Qattarra)

had fry.. MY FIRST FRY EVER..

i was vacuming exxess food and after that i thought i had missed some.. when i took a closer look and saw they (what i thought was exxess food) wasn't drifting,.. they were swimming!.. i said (to wife) holy sj&^%T i gots babyies!

there are like 20.. ( i may have sucked some up and thrown them out with the bathwater (hehe) oh well 20 is still good for my fiisrt time

now what do i do.. should i move em ( have a emety fully set up and primed 20 gal)

what do i feed the little buggers?

help a new daddy pls heheh

DF :thumbs: :ml:

Edited by dragonfish

Hey Congrats!!!!

I got my first batch about 3 months ago, then a second batch 1 month ago...baby cichlids (don't know the type).

I moved the first batch and 9 survived out of 11. They now live with my community fish.

The 2nd batch only 3 are still in the tank with the parents. I don't know how many perished.

I feed them crushed flake food and that works fine.

I've always found my convicts to be great parents. I normally make sure that the intake to the aquaclear has some filter floss over it with the use of an elastic band. Besides that and frequent water changes the fry seem to flourish, until I feed them to my larger fish that is. Congratulations dad!

update.. all the fry are gone.. (presumed eaten??)

now i noticed like 50- *eggs*? in another cave.. and the mon & dad hovering and chashing the other fish away from that cave.. this lasted for the last 4 days.. now i just checked ( i can see inside the cave good its made from a large tupperware containor) and no eggs.. did she or another eat em.

water temp is 78-80degreese

food is sperilena/flake and chrushed cichlid floters

help pls

Thanks

DF :ml:

Sometimes it takes a couple of tries for parents to get it right. Sometimes they just can't keep all the preds away - Cardinal tetras can be some of the best fry predators out there!

When the eggs hatch, the parents will usually move them to somewhere else in the tank. Sometimes they build a little pit, sometimes not.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to add, from what I've read, there are some cases when new parents may even eat the eggs or fry if it is their first clutch of eggs. Chances are the problem will sort itself out after another few tries. I think the reason they may eat their eggs, is that they may eat eggs their perceive to be dead or sick, to save the other ones. I know Oscars do this. But if they are inexperienced, they may think they are all sick. I don't know how accurate that theory is, but having seen the 2 cichlids at Pisces defending at least 100 babies from fully grown id sharks, oscars, and a bunch of other big ol' fish, I have no doubt they are good defenders. You could try removing other tankmates if it's just not happening.

I'm no expert, though!

-Hideo