fish description site

jus_sum_guy

Most general aquaria sites are pretty vague in the info they give out. What type of fish are you looking into? Try to find a site just for that group, it will help you get more detailed info. So if you are looking into catfish, check a catfish site. If you are looking into africans, check african sites.

There isn't too many compatability charts out there as its really hard to say which fish will do well with another. What will work in one person's tank might not work in yours.

Its best to research all the fish you would like to get and then figure which work best for you and your tank. With community fish its fairly easy to reach a balance(atleast in my experiences) where there isnt' too many problems(aggression etc.) But with other fish like cichlids it may take a bit more planning.

So if you post which fish you like or are thinking about we coudl help you out.

the NUMBER 1 site id recomend is fishprofiles.com its will give you info on almost any fish and will give you a list of possible compatible tank mates, along with warning as to what could happen and reasons why the fish cant be put together. For the profiles you go to the pic above "346 speices profiles", for a compatibily go to the pic above "fish compatibility". Ive always just found it easiest to go straight to the compatibilty list because it shows common names, symnos, and thescientifics ones. And once chosen it gives you profiles anyway, plus the list of tank mates.

Synodontis petricola

Yes, I have 3 in my african tank. I love them, they are very cute and make a perfect addtion to a african cichlid tank. There is a very good article about them on www.planetcatfish.com under catfish of the month(archive i believe). They come from lake tang. so they prefer high ph with a higher hardness. They can be shy so its best to keep them in groups of atleast 3.

Very cool catfish, definately recommend them

I"m not sure if they do well in community tanks. I have only kept mine in my african tank. If you have a community tank with a high pH and high hardness then i think it would work. I have never seen my synos being aggresive so i don't think them being with community type fish would be a problem. But I have only really heard of them being kept with aficans so hopefully someone else can tell you for sure.

synodontis njassae is from lake Malawi. But it isn't very common to see it for sale. I have only seen it for sale on specialty african cichlid online stores. I personally think it isnt' as attractive as the syno petricola or syno multipunctatus

• 4 years later...
the NUMBER 1 site id recomend is fishprofiles.com its will give you info on almost any fish and will give you a list of possible compatible tank mates, along with warning as to what could happen and reasons why the fish cant be put together. For the profiles you go to the pic above "346 speices profiles", for a compatibily go to the pic above "fish compatibility". Ive always just found it easiest to go straight to the compatibilty list because it shows common names, symnos, and thescientifics ones. And once chosen it gives you profiles anyway, plus the list of tank mates.

i just checked this out...its cool..and informative....

I have 5 of the petricola in a community tank without issue. They are fun to watch scurrying around at feeding time.