Which Plants

Vapor

I am thinking of taking the next step here and introducing some live plants to my tank. I have a 27 gallon tank with the followig fish and I was wondering what was the best live plants for this group.

2-clown loaches

4-tiger barbs

2-turquoise rainbows

4-marbled hatchet fish

1-largish dwarf gourami

5-ottos

Any would do as far as plants go. None of your fish would be overly hard on the plants. Although Barbs will eat some plants. The question is what style of aquascape are you interested in. I have lots of plants if you need extras.

How much light do you have and have you read {Plants 101 in the pinned section of this forum.

I agree with the EI dosing methods or the PPS system works well also.

Throw some cabomba in there, all of my fish like to much on it every now and again. I also really like Bacopa monieri, grows nice and tall, quite nice looking and replants easily.

Can't go wrong with water wisteria, maybe some swords.

I'd really really love some madagascar laceleaf, but it looks quite delicate and I'd probably just kill it.

-Hideo

If you're going with just a few plants in a fish tank, I'd stick with 'slower' plants. Many of the plants mentioned would be great. Stem plants tend to get leggy and spindally if not looked after, but most roset and rhisome plants will last and last.

Here's what I have to offer:

Ozelot sword

Java fern

Anubias nana var. bartari

Tiger Valisneria

Red Tiger Lotus

Incidentally, I've read that the Madegascar lace plant - an Aponogeton sp - does better in cooler temps. Not our typical temps of 78-81F, but in the 72-75F range. Never kept once myself, so YMMV.