substrate ferts

Samgoody

Hi

Can someone advise me where I can buy some substrate ferts - like Jobe or any other brand?

And, What should I look for on the label?

I guess Jobe's substrate ferts should be a lot cheaper than the Seachem Flourish tabs, right??

The other question is: I noticed most of my stem plants are growing plenty of side roots and I wonder why??

thanks,

Sam

Jobe's are great for Macronutrients - NPK. You can pick them up just about anywhere - Home Depot, Wal Mart, Nursery.

Flourish Tabs are great for Micronutrients. I use a combination of the two.

Roots on stem plants is normal. If you don't like them, you can just trim them off, or plant the stem on it's side and watch it send up new plant stems at each node.

You can pick them up just about anywhere - Home Depot, Wal Mart, Nursery

Actually i went and looked for them at home depot and they didn't carry them. I asked the girl and she said they only carry the large jobes sticks for trees. All the smaller sticks were miracle grow.

Hmmm.... I'm sure that's where I got my last pack. I big double pack, too! Maybe it was Wal Mart, then. I know I used to get them at HD all the time. Most Garden centres will carry what you need. It doesn't have to be Jobe's, just something with a lower NPK level - with P being the lowest.

I break 'em in 3rds, and place them under the plants. 1/3 for a big feeder like most swords. 1/3 at each end of a large stand of Crypts or Valisneria, pygmy sword.

Basically just space them out amongst your root feeders. Don't worry about stem plants or ferns; however, Anubias love to have their roots fed!

I've actually never had a problem with Jobes(causing algae oubreaks) but then again i dont' tend to poke around in the gravel once its in there.

If you do need to move the plant or will be moving around the gravel where you put the jobe stick keep your gravel vac close by and quickly suck up any bits of the stick that might go into the water. By doing this i haven't had any algae problems from them.

PMDD is great for most plants, but I'd still recommend feeding the roots of your swords and Crypts.

Jobe sticks to my knowledge have a small percentage of N in the form of urea, so I would assume you would have to bury them well into the substrate to avoid leaching into the water column. Never used them myself, but would be interested to know if anyone has encountered any problems with this?

Secondly, does anyone know how to make your own substrate ferts (slow release)out of KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 ... Perhaps mixing them dry with some clay or something else ...?

I've never done it myself, but there are a number of articles online about making clayballs - I think there's and article at The Krib. If not, try Googling Steve Pituch (or Pitush/Pitusch) - he wrote an article on it, and I believe he lives/lived in Vancouver.