Plant substrates

Vallisneria

What are you using in your planted tank?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been researching a bit more on planted tanks and have read a lot about different plant substrates. One i see mentioned a bunch of time is Flourite.I did a search and there seems to be a couple of different ways to use it. Some say to use it as the bottom layer with sand/gravel over top, some say to use it just around plants(kind of like a root tab) and some say to use it unstead of gravel(like seachem flourite).

Does aynone use this stuff. Can it(the seachem flourite) be used as the only substrate? Or does it need to have gravel over it. Does putting gravel over it actually serve a purpose or is it just used for looks and something to use as a filler so you don't have to buy so much flourite?

Is anyone using flourite in their planted tanks? Is it the only substrate or do you add something else? Whats your experiences with it.

I know a couple other people also use Schultz aquatic plant soil and i'd like to hear your experiences with that also. Basically let me know what substrate you are using and why you like it/dont' like it.

So far in my planted tanks i've only ever used regular plain gravel, so i'd like to hear what else is available.

I've used Flourite as the only substrate for years. I love it! When I moved everything into my 55 gal, I didn't have enough to make a deep enough layer, so I paritioned it off to the back corners - making it about 4-5" deep for Swords, Crypts & Nymphia lilies.

Flourite works b/c it has a high CEC, and is heavy enough to hold down plants. Something else that I've had great success with is planting a VERY established tank - one that's already been set up for over a year. There is plenty of detritus and goodies in the substrate, and the plants take to it right away.

What brand of flourite did you use? Is it pretty much the same as gravel(look wise and ease of use) but is more benefical to plants? I've never actually seen the stuff in person but from what i can tell from pics it looks like it is exactly like a gravel.

If i go with something other then plain gravel i really dont' want to have to deal with layering(plant substrate on the bottom/ sand on top as i know i'll end up making a mess of it). I want something easy to use.

I use Seachem's Flourite. It's a brick-red color, and is about the size of #3 gravel. They also make Onyx which comes in large gravel - too big IMO - and sand. I have it mixed w. arogonite in my African tanks.

Onyx will buffer the pH up about .2 - nothing really to worry about unless you plan on breeding any soft water fish.

BTW - I tried to vote, but it wasn't registered. Add 1 to Flourite.

Edited by jvision

Thanks for all the replies :)

I picked up some seachem flourite today. I got a bag off a friend so i just picked up another from dad's fishroom. Now my next question is is 2 bags what i need for a 20gH? O the bag it says 1 7kg bag is good for 2" deep in a 10g. So hopefully 2 bags will give me some more depth.

I already washed 1 bag. Man is that stuff dirty. It says its prewashed on the bag but when i cleaned it that water looked like mud and took forever to get clean. Can't see how they can recommend only rinsing and putting it in the tank and letting it settle.

Anyhoo, I guess now i can get started on setting up this tank. Just need to buy some new light bulbs and figure out where to get the plants from :)

Oh and thanks Milan for the link :thumbs:

The thing w. Flourite is, the more you rinse it, the more it breaks down. The best way to set it up, is in a new tank.

Rinse it a bit 1st, then drain the water. Put wet Flourite in the tank, then fill it slowly with water - pouring the water onto a plate, or something to disperse the water helps a lot too. If you fill slowly, you won't cloud your tank.

ok i'll try that. When i rinsed it yesterday, I didn't get it to the point where the water was totally clean. Just enough to get the "mud" look off of it. I didn't get it as clean as i would gravel becuase I was worried that if i didn't rinse it enough the tank would be too cloudy once setup. I did this when i added sand once i it took forever for the tank to clear :grr: