Root tabs

Vallisneria

I was wondering what everyone uses to fertilize the roots of their plants? I know a couple people use Jobes(as do I) but Garhan told me to be very careful with them becuase if they get into the water it can cuase a lot of algae problems. I also use Flourish tabs but they are quite expensive.

So are their any cheap Root tabs out there? It seems paying 7$+ for 10 tabs is a bit high if you have a larger tank and fert. on a regular basis.

I've been using Flourish root tabs. If you are only paying $7 and a bit more, that is a great deal. Cheapest that I have found them is $15.99 for ten tabs. I know you can order them online from Pets and Ponds for about $8, so next time I need some that is what I am going to do. I too am wondering if there is a cheaper way to fert the substrate.

I combine Jobes and Flourish Root Tabs. My tank is so thick right now, I think it's almost too good of a combo! Some of my lotus leaves are 8" across!!!

The problem with Jobes' is that they supply N in the form of NH4. Algae LOVES ammonia!!! However, if you're carefull when you're rooting around, and/or you're quite dilegent on your WCs, you should be OK.

Of course, I always recommend to plant heavily, if you're fertilizing.

Inject your water type fertilizer witha syringe into the substrate.

Really? It stays where you inject it? I have to give this a try.

If you have Flourite, or peat, or something else in your substrate that has a high CEC, then your ferts will be 'absorbed' by the substrate, and then be taken up by the plants as needed.

Inject your water type fertilizer witha syringe into the substrate.

Garhan, this has been going thru my mind as well. I would assume this method would apply to a high CEC substrate. But on the other hand, does the CEC (cation exchange capacity) apply only to cations (as per name) or any nutrient? I know K is a cation, but my chemistry knowledge does not go further than that.

Any thoughts on this?

If you have Flourite, or peat, or something else in your substrate that has a high CEC, then your ferts will be 'absorbed' by the substrate, and then be taken up by the plants as needed.

Ok that makes sense, thanks

I'm setting up a new tank with flourite but my old planted tnak only has gravel. IS it possible to add a couple cup fulls of flourite around the base of my larger plants in this tank even though its already setup? Just pour a bit around the bases and mix it in?

You don't have to worry about the old tank. All the mulm that has accumulated has excellent CEC.

Older tanks usually grow plants quite well - even without additional ferts. Of course, when you start adding CO2, I'd recommend dosing the water column b/c the plants' needs will increase.