Rubber Nose?

Tanker

Anything I should know about a rubber nose pleco besides 'It has a stupid name' and 'looks neat when he's laying on black sand'? Should I trust this thing in my fry tanks or is it going to munch the little snacks? Ideally I'd just like to have something I can rotate between the larger tanks in the room, say a tank-a-week style to keep them clean and keep the pleco fed, but I want to know if he's the one for the job, based on REAL experiences.

Thanks.

I have a rubbernose pleco in my 90g african tank.

He is very shy and i hardly ever see him. He does an OK job of algae eating but he is nothing compared to my BN pleco that i added to this tank because the rubbernose couldnt' keep the algae under control. I've had mine for a couple years now and he is only about 3". They are pretty cute :)

When i got mine i did a bit of reading and it seems that they prefer cooler temps and lots of current. But i keep my tank at 78* and he seems to be doing ok.

They are nice in that they don't get big, I have had fry in with them, (because I could not catch fry) but as Val says they are not the best algae eater. Nothing beats a common pleco for cleaning IMO, but if you don't desire the large poop machine, then I would go with BN as well. I have 3 RN in 2 tanks and 2 BN.