Conditioning Rams

k9outfit

Should I only feed worms a few times per week?

Yes, that would be plenty. I use the TherA formula for conditioning females (higher fat & protein levels), and I've yet find a cichlid that required more than that to spawn.

I feed mine (Bolivians) NLS 2-3 x per day, and substitute white worms for 1 feeding about 3 x per week. They were spawning every week for a while. Maybe they got tired of the BNP harassing them all the time. They're getting their own tank soon. :)

I just use tap water for mine. I do have some nice stands of Val, which will use CO3 from the water.... but, I doubt it's affecting anything.

For a while, I was using Seachem's Acid buffer, as I had a discuss in the tank as well. I'm not using it anymore, which could be another reason they stopped breeding all the time....

I have had several pairs of german blue rams over the past year. They were kept in Calgary water in planted tanks. I had no trouble getting the rams to spawn. In fact they spawned on a regular basis. The problem is getting the eggs to hatch. Never had any luck with that.

If they do need softer, more acidic water, boiled peat does it the best-for-less-$, IME. It will tan your water, so if it's a planted tank w. light-hungry plants, you may not want to add too much.

Just put some dry peat in a nylon, toss it in a pot and boil it for a while, rinse it under cool water, and add to your tank. It's that easy. :)

Can anyone give an actual pH for successful egg hatching? I keep reading "slightly acidic", "aged" etc., but don't actually have numbers I can use as a target. These are tank bred & raised, but apparently they still need a lower pH, for results.

When using peat, it's pretty impossible to measure pH using the titration tests, so I never really did. But, when trying RO/tap for a bit, I shot for 6.5 for my Apistos. Rams are pretty close to them, so that should be a good target.

Incidentally, I gave up on the RO/tap thing... boiled peat was so much easier!