Cryptocoryne disease

Golfnut

I got some new crypts and some have the "cryptocoryne disease" where leaves just whither away. Anything I can do?

I didn't bury the roots as "deep" as I could. Could it be because part of the root is not buried? ie. Is this the cause?

Thanks,

andrew

I've had a couple of my crypts melt after i moved them. I dont' know why they do it but i dont' think there is anything you can do to stop it once its started(atleast i couldn't). I had all the leaves die off but new ones quickly took their place. So dont' think its dead, it will grow back.

That's just what Crypts do. When their water parameters change, the leaves melt. As long as the rhyzome is healthy, you'll get new leaves right away.

Kind of a pain, I know... but, it's just what they do.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of crypts in my tank that did the "melt" thing too. They've been in there since I started the tank at the end of October. Leaves would melt and new ones would grow in, and the process would happen over and over. Not until about a month ago did the plants actually start growing and sending out new shoots and runners. I have anubias plants that grew faster!! I think they have finally settled in and are happy now.

I have a couple of crypts in my tank that did the "melt" thing too. They've been in there since I started the tank at the end of October. Leaves would melt and new ones would grow in, and the process would happen over and over. Not until about a month ago did the plants actually start growing and sending out new shoots and runners. I have anubias plants that grew faster!! I think they have finally settled in and are happy now.

Just when I thought my crypts were doing well.....one of them is melting again!! I have no doubt that some day this thing will grow well but for now it is back to struggling again. It is a cryptocoryne Wendti "Tropica". ;)

Just when I thought my crypts were doing well.....one of them is melting again!! I have no doubt that some day this thing will grow well but for now it is back to struggling again. It is a cryptocoryne Wendti "Tropica". ;)

Crypts are a bit fussy. Whenever there is any kind of change in their water parameters - temp, pH, CO2, etc. - they melt. But they always seem to come back. My best suggestion is to just clip/pull off the melting leaves, and let them be. Try not to disturb them for a while. Once their roots get established they're a bit more hardy.