live rock which kind??

Jennifer9821

Hey everyone I am setting up a 33gal SW and I was wondering if you can tell me IYO what is the nicest live rock you can get? and is this a good price for Walt Smith Fiji Live Rock 50 lb box 249.99 + $60.00 shipping CAN this is in canada so I don't have to pay duty and stuff.

So in your own opinion guys I don't want to start anything but what is the best live rock out there. and is 50lbs to much for a 33gal?

I probably will end up doing that as I buy everything from there, just kinda came across that deal you know how it is when you see something and are like wow cool deal but then think about it afterwards lol well that is how i am anyway lol -roll- impluse buyer lol but yeah I get everything from golds. :beer: :bow:

but just wanted to know what other thoughts were and what they liked see what options I have and so forth

Why not go to Gold and order from them?

Hey everyone I am setting up a 33gal SW and I was wondering if you can tell me IYO what is the nicest live rock you can get? and is this a good price for Walt Smith Fiji Live Rock 50 lb box 249.99 + $60.00 shipping CAN this is in canada so I don't have to pay duty and stuff.
So in your own opinion guys I don't want to start anything but what is the best live rock out there. and is 50lbs to much for a 33gal?

All legit questions, come on all you salt guys give her some answers I would also like to know what you think is the best live rock to go with as a newbie to salt is 50 lbs ok in a 33 gal???

Tom.

50 lbs should be fine. Set it up the way you want it in the tank before you add water. Have all the water you need mixed already and waiting. Then after you set up the rock in the formation you want add water.

Then wait, and wait some more, for a total of about 3 to 4 weeks. For the rock to re-cure and to establish good stable water parameters. You can test during this process but the results will be the same high ammonia levels and every thing else will be whacked. Make sure you have lots of circulation, and you can use a small filter with some carbon in it but you have to change that out once a week with your water change.

Now you can add a small clean up crew after the first week or so. That will help clear up the crud that will start to build up on the rock work.

So do a water change once a week for the whole 3 to 4 weeks. Then after 3 weeks start testing. Once you have stable water conditions, start adding you critters. But make sure to add them one at a time, and then do more water test. After a week or so and stable water conditions, you can add some thing else.

And for your live rock head over to Gold's and Wai's. It will cost you less in shipping and it will save you time on re-curing. The stuff sitting at the local stores has already started the curing process and will not have as much die off as stuff that is being shipped.

The other thing you could do is buy 30 lbs set it up in your tank and see what it looks like. If you want more add more.

Sorry this is so long, but that is how I started my tank, I'm sure you already know most of what I said.

Good luck and have fun with the tank.

no I didn't know half of that so I thank you so much for you long informative information. I am going up to Gold's probably next weekend. You didn't mention anything about a protien skimmer is it nessasary to have one right away? if so what kind Albert from golds was talking about a remora. He said the lighting could wait until I was ready for corals and such.

Lighting can wait until corals, as there really is no need for high intensity lighting until then. Just make sure when you decide you want corals, that you go for the lighting first, as it's pretty tempting to pick up all those nice looking corals (not that you EVER impulse buy, Jenn....:lol:).

I got a skimmer with my set up, and really glad I did too. Seems to pick up a lot of crap you don't know necessarily see.

What kind of a set up do you have on this 30? And yes, maybe start with 30lb and go from there....no need to go overboard on the liverock as you can always add more. You can't add less once you have it - but you CAN start another SW tank. :hey:

No I didn't know this either.

Sorry Jen I hope you don't think I am highjacking your thread I am also interested in setting up a 33 gal so this info is just what I am looking for also.

So do a water change once a week for the whole 3 to 4 week

What percentage of water change do you recommend for the standard 33gal set up while the rock is curing.

Thanks

Tom.

Do your standard 25%, once a week. You don't want to change out too much or you start the cycle all over.

And the lighting can wait. Make sure you have a decent set up for now with the rock only, but when you decide to get some coral, buy the high intensity light before the coral. But remember wait about a week after you make any changes to your set up, even light, test your water, then go and buy the critter, or coral.

Protein skimmers are good, but make sure you do your research, there are some skimmers that are just useless. And it is true that you will notice a lot of junk coming off the water. But that depends on what you are keeping and what your bio load is.

If you put a skimmer on your tank right now with just the rock for the first 4-6 weeks you will notice a lot of crud coming off and as the rock cure's and the die off fades you wont notice as much.

Also check these site's

http://www.wetwebmedia.com and http://www.canreef.com

Lots of good info on both.

I forgot to mention last time, with live rock look for stuff that is very porus. And all rock that the local stores carry is fine. I didint realy find a big diferance. Make sure to hit up Wai's He usualy hase some nice peices in a tank that is hidden in a corner. When you walk, in walk past the main display on your left, and then there will be the main tank that has live rock in it. Go around that tank and to your left. I belive he has a sign on it that says rubble live rock 5$. Check that tank I always found realy neat stuff in there.

Edited by lukep77

Hey Tom No I don't think your hijacking my thread lol I don't mind at all if you come on it to it. We'll have to come pair tanks once there going lol. Thanks Dunl for the info, and thanks again lukep77 your info is so informative as well. I was thinking of the burlin or Remora what do you think of these two skimmers I know there made for up to 250gals but I am just thinking ahead as i have a 120gal ;) I just might change from fresh to salt one day lol. you just never know lol.

Set up the protein skimmer at the start... expecially if you choose to have a sand bed... the sand, even after it is rinsed, will still cloud everything up, and a protein skimmer will actually help seperate all the fine fine particles making that cloudyness from the water! my skimmer sure saved my tank when I added sand!:)

jenn- go with a remora pro if u plan on a 120g http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/RemoraFAQ2.htm

We had a berlin classic hang on rated for 250g and then put on a prism to compare... and the prism pulled outt more... this was on the 33g

I got a remora for my 60g and love it...

I have mostly figi rock in my tank. really porus. I change 15% every 10days

For a skimmer I don't have a preference, but like I said do your home work and ask lots of questions.

If your planning on going with a bigger tank in the future you might not be able to use all the same equipment. With a skimmer make sure that it will work for your 33 as well as a 120. Some skimmers designed for a lager tank will over skim your water and pull out too much good stuff with the bad. Sort of like leaving a uv sterilizer on your tank 24/7/365. It will eventually purify the water.

About the Remora vs. the Berlin. They are both good skimmers, I would say just do lots of searching on the www, and bug all the sales people you can for answers.

Also keep in mind that there is allot of experience out there with salt tanks, and that every one has a cretin way of doing things. So in saying that keep a open mind about all the info you get. And have lots of patiance.

Hey Jenn

I use a Corallife Super Skimmer, and although some people here dislike them... i think it does a great job. Skims a lot, and only overflowed when i didn't completely know what I was doing... works like a charm now!

Research that one a bit... cause you can sometimes find a used one for a great deal, like i did! :) thanks Rudy!