Oct 9th meet.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with this all is the location for some and meeting with just the sake of meeting for others. I have held meetings of two people before and although they weren't all bad, truth is that fishkeeping is a solo sport. At the same time, people are saving up money for the auction, a trip to Calgary from Edmonton cuts into that money. Furthermore just to clear something up, it's A.C.E. Aquarium Club of Edmonton not ASE Aquarium Society of Edmonton. I read you loud and clear TC51 about the participation level and agree that although things sound good everyone waits for other people to join in first, it's the old jump off the bridge syndrome. Truth is that I would make the run regardless of participation because it benefits my store and the over all quality of my fish stock. I thought i would give people a chance to have a safe shipping method but I think in the end they will be happier with recieving frozen discus on demand as they are so much easier to care for. To the few who already volunteered I appreciate it and we all will benefit.

Having two auctions on the same day wouldn't make a meeting on that day very good either since people would want to get involved in their own town's auction.

I have seen gatherings completely fail from other groups so why should this one be any different? I say drop it all together, why waste the effort?

If anyone knows about this stuff i do for sure. i have had two failed clubs and even when I try to give away stuff no one seems to come, I think 6 members from this board have ever taken me up on the offer, thanks to them I managed to clear out enough stuff so I didn't have to move it. Now considering how cheap the average aquarist is, the fact that free F1 and WC fish don't appeal to them and the time I wasted just writing up a detailled ad for giveaways, I say save your breath it ain't gonna happen. PS and that is the positive side of things.

Having two auctions on the same day wouldn't make a meeting on that day very good either since people would want to get involved in their own town's auction.

I have seen gatherings completely fail from other groups so why should this one be any different? I say drop it all together, why waste the effort?

Having two auctions on the same day is terrible as I would expect that many, like myself, would prefer to participate in both auctions (I always make an effort to hit the Edmonton auctions).

I have seen gatherings completely succeed from many groups, so why should this one be any different?

Anyway Rahim, Christian, if you still would like to do this anyway let me know, but at this point I think it is pointles .

We could do the Riverfront trip if you like. Must admit to being a little dissapointed by this, but oh well, next time maybe.

I am still up for it...even if it is only 3-4 of us, why not? And hitting Riverfront will be fun. What do you think is a good time? Noon? Meet at Tom's place or in the Riverfront lot?

The date on this one was just not the best for a number of Calgarians....Chris will be in Sask, Rudy is off hunting, etc.

So tell us about the meet. we're all dying to hear about it.

Well, unfortunately, mostly due to the confusion and indescision (as well as the chaps that could not make it), it failed to coalesce as planned, but a number of the locals bumped into each other at Riverfront.

I found out on Saturday that I have known the son of the owner of riverfront for a couple of years and didn't even know that his dad ran the place. He was at the GF's cousin's place on Saturday with me. He often helps in the store for his dad as well he is just a kid and just gets people the things that they point out that they want. He doesn't know much about many of the names of the species of the fish and even less about plants. As long as the custome knows what they are there for he can help them. I believe that he is only 14 possibly 15. Great kid tho.