Breeding Nerites?

Mighty Prawn

"With a tidal change it would be possible to house some of the nerite (nerita spp.) and littorinid (littorina spp.) snails that graze off the Mangrove's roots, and possible Sesarma crabs or Uca spp. (fiddler crabs)." (Sprung, Julian. "Magnificanet Mangroves." Aquarium Fish Magazine. Dec. 1995, 57.)

I have been scouring the net on these guys, trying to find some success stories on breeding. I'm not looking up books or articles on them to see if I can track down some ideas on how to breed them.

In said aquarium magazine it says they feed off of mangrove roots... Perhaps there is something in what they feed on that provides what is required to fertilize the eggs by the male?

-Hideo

• 6 years later...

I haven't tried breeding Nerites, but I do know someone who's trying, and I've read some posts of people who have succeeded. I think one person said they put the eggs (attached to something like driftwood) into a salt water tank and they hatched. At least I'm pretty sure that's what the poster said. I can't remember much right now. I've read about this awhile ago cause I wanted to breed my horned nerites. Guess I'll find out for myself when I get the time to set up a brackish tank.

how do you make a brackish tank?

add marine salt,but not at the full dose of a SW tank.

I haven't tried breeding Nerites, but I do know someone who's trying, and I've read some posts of people who have succeeded. I think one person said they put the eggs (attached to something like driftwood) into a salt water tank and they hatched. At least I'm pretty sure that's what the poster said. I can't remember much right now. I've read about this awhile ago cause I wanted to breed my horned nerites. Guess I'll find out for myself when I get the time to set up a brackish tank.

im in the process of trying to hatch nerites,i have my eggs in a brackish tank.

but i believe it was Wingin it that has had success in the past hatching nerites.

i believe she actually put the eggs in a full saltwater tank to hatch

im in the process of trying to hatch nerites,i have my eggs in a brackish tank.

but i believe it was Wingin it that has had success in the past hatching nerites.

i believe she actually put the eggs in a full saltwater tank to hatch

Yeah, I think it was Wingin It. I knew I had read something about that : P

If you succeed, I'm buying some. Loooove nerites, and baby ones would be even better :D