Contemplating Oscars For a 90 gal.

thefishdude

:well: Anyone like to suggest a type of oscar I should pursue for my brand spanking new 90gal. Where is a good place to find them in Calgary? Ive been to Big Al's and Riverfront without being too amazed.

Should I start with 6 or 8 of them to try and get a breeding pair, or should I stick to a single. Would any of the stores in town take trade back on the rest of them?

:well:

Haaaaaeee ... dude. :D so you whant to breed oscars!!!

Congradulations. A 90 gallon is the place to start. If you are planning to purchase exsisting retail stock ; start with at least 1/2 dozen. Feeds them heavy, and W/C's. they like clean, soft water!

Wait 12 months till the pecking order sorts everthing out and perhaps you may end up with a male/feamale. then wait another 6 months and perhaps if one or the other is still alive they may lay eggs. Then the real work begins... :wub:

These are incrediable, powerful S.A. species. They do not tolerate crowding and others species. A male will only accept a feamale if she proves herself worthy of breeding... Lip- Lock behaviour.

A breeding pair of oscars are very valuable.

To purchase stock ... any good retail store is as good as any; providing you can verify they are healthy.

HOWEVER: the best of the best: is someone who is breeding them to being with. and try and get their fry.

Oscars are a D- 3 species; for a reason -.- conavoiur hunters.

HTH

Smokey

Smokey dont discourage the guy. We had a lesbian pair of oscars. They were nice fish although you have to ask yourself one guestion do you want a fish that is going to grett you everytime u walk up to the tank or a fish that is going to try to fight you. When we had our pair it was like that. They would always try to keep you away from the tank. But when the female died the male became the best fish we ever had. He would let us touch him and fed from our hands. The trick to pairing oscars though is to feed them a different food every day on a 5 day roation. This was ours:

Day 1: Flake

Day 2: Thawed Blood Worms (when small once fish are larger partialy thaw)

Day 3: Pellet

Day 4: Beef Heart

Day 5: Live goldfish

We had a pair 4 months into it. I have seen some nice "albino's" They had a black edging on the fins so they wernt albinos. Imm red tigers are nice. I would do what somkey said though go strait to a breeder he would have the interesting stuff. Oh one more thing place some adult blue or gold gouramis in the tank. The pair picks on them and the gouramis are too quick for the oscars to do anything. Good luck.

Ryan, Just suggesting what to be on the look-out for; should hardly be considered discourging. Unless of course, the receipent of the information does not want to listen!

In your case, I did give you the benifit of my years of expierence, and you said I was incorrect. I understood what you were saying and I did not agree with you.

I do agree with your comment - that discus / or any S.A / African fish, etc. can/have been raised and even breed in tap water. However__Extreme water conitions do put stress on a fish; even affect the internal organ development. In some cases adversly effect the life span of a species/fish.

So, if you feel I discouraged you from jumping into discus, rather than helping you understand what is necessary for long healthy growth. well that is up to you.

My stock will be the base for breeding.

I have imported my discus from around the world. From some of the best parent/breeders internationaly known. I have spent 2 years hand raising them. Given them the best possible care_ water_foods possible. Black Water is one of the formula's. I am not raising my personal fish, to have them killed by some one who will not take good care of them.

Smokey