Which is it?

Does the City of Calgary add chlorine or chloramine to our tap water?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Chlorine yes, but chloramine no. You can check the city website on water content. I talked to them personally two years ago so my comments are based on that.

HOWEVER......

Our city, like many others, has been toying with the idea of switching to chloramine for the past couple of years (it is less expensive, more safe, and more efficacious)....and if and when that happens, it will not be advertised, so be alert and call the water guys a couple of times yearly.....and if anyone hears of an implemetation date, shout it from the rooftops.

I have personally taken in chlorine toners in to Glenmore. They also take aqua ammonia, alum, and PAC (Poly aluminum chloride) what they do with it all I dunno. PAC is used to polish the water it grabs the suspended soilds and it sinks them to the bottom to be removed later

Huh.... we Edmontonians have had to put up with Chloramine for years!

...and the Oilers for 34....whats your point? -roll-

Ouch.... That was low, Christian - real low :tongue:

Chlorine can be eliminated through 24-48 hr airation or carbon filtering. For Chloramine, the chlorine-ammonia bond has to be broken before the chlorine can be nutralized. That's what most dechlorinizors do, and leave free ammonia in the tank. Fine in a planted tank and/or established biofilter; not good news otherwise.

Products like Seachem's Prime will aslo nutralize the ammonia, binding it until it's broken down by the filter, or used up by plants.